Unanswered: DB2 vs Oracle or Sybase

Hi ,
    Im an Sybase and Oracle DBA , now learning DB2 ..need some sugestions and like to have an open debate from experts in regards to DB2 vs Oracle , what missing ,what's good or not.
    Any expertise will be relly apreciated!

Isabella

Re: DB2 vs Oracle or Sybase

I am no expert but its more like a views from a developers/administrator . first and foremost is the documentation.
    It is available but not easily accesible. the gui is not as robust as I'd like it to be. For example suppose i have a remote database attached to my local system and I access the remote database over a VPN connection (security policy of our company), If i disconnect the VPN connection without disconnecting from the remote db2 instance, it gives an error and exits. Okie this is but a simple example, but I have been working with db2 since 2.5 yrs and have a lots to say abt db2
    before that I'd however like you to hear a bit about whats missing ,what's good or not in oracle, since I am planning to migrate this system to oracle.
    rgds
    brat.

Originally posted by ighiurea
    Hi ,
    Im an Sybase and Oracle DBA , now learning DB2 ..need some sugestions and like to have an open debate from experts in regards to DB2 vs Oracle , what missing ,what's good or not.
    Any expertise will be relly apreciated!

Isabella

Re: DB2 vs Oracle or Sybase

Hi Isabella,

DB2 is a technically mature, quite fast and reliable database. The GUI is rotten, though (slow, drag on memory and cpu, highly unreliable). Is this different with Oracle?

You will need to have some good leverage with DB2 support, which can be quite frustrating to work with. How big/important is your shop?

Developer support is scarce, again. Don't expect DB2 to go the extra mile to make life easier, examples: User defined types have trouble with qualified type names unless you set the function path which is a very proprietary concept of DB2's, I believe; no support for DOMAINs; no cascading UPDATE on foreign keys; SQL procedure language still not truely integrated with the database (still needs C/Java compiler AFAIK.

From the point of managability, I like Oracle's table partitioning schemes. No practical experience with this, though. If it works nice, definitely a strong point going for Oracle. May be this changes somewhat with the new multi dimensional clustering indexes with DB2, and if so, this may make DB2 scale best, because it also supports shared nothing architectures very well.

Johann