Unhappy Unanswered: Security after splitting a database

Hello all!

I have a question, with (I'm afraid) rather an extensive answer.

I have split a secured database into a front end and a back end. This didn't seem to affect the security. Now I've had to make a change to the backend and front-end database (added a few tables, forms and reports). I've distributed the front-end to the users, but when they try to open the new forms etc. they get a message which indicates that they do not have the rights to do so. I thought the mdw governed both databases? So now how do I solve this? Should I use the same .mdw file for both the front-end and the backend database? If so, how?

I've copied the local copy of my "secured.mdw" to the network drive, the user starts up the database with the correct shortcut, but still does not get access to the new objects. ("there was an error executing the command").

Another strange thing: When I try to open the application on the network (instead of the copy I have locally for development purposes) and I use the userId and password of the end-user, I encounter no problems, even though I use exactly the same shortcut. Could it be that for some strange reason, there still is a reference to my being the developer / owner of the objects, even though I log on with the end-user's Userid?

And another remark: I can open the backend database without any password. Is this another indication that that database is not secured? On the other hand, the end-user does not have the rights to open the new tables, so that contradicts the "not secured" impression.

I'm about to copy EVERYTHING to the network drive (i.e. shortcut, front-end, secured.mdw and even backend), but that would destroy a large amount of work of the end-user, as he has been entering data into the database for a couple of days now... which would not be a very ... "commercial" ... move on my part.

Thanx for the help! My project manager is breathing down my nek for me to finish this project, so any help is welcome!

SpSp

Re: Security after splitting a database

http://support.microsoft.com/default...t%2fsecfaq.asp has solved my problem. Sorry to have bothered you.

Greetz,

SpSp