Unanswered: Access 2002 programming

HELP!

I set up a hazardous material table named tblReceivals with the following fields: MaterialName, QtyReceived, QtyDisposed, QtyRemained, etc.

I also set up a data entry form named frmReceivals where the user can populate the QtyReceived field for adding a new record. The QtyRemained field is not on this form.

How can I assign the input QtyReceived value to the QtyRemained value (these two fields should have the same values) in a new added record, using a frmReceivals event procedure?

THANKS!

Re: Access 2002 programming

Originally posted by diensatthan
    HELP!

I set up a hazardous material table named tblReceivals with the following fields: MaterialName, QtyReceived, QtyDisposed, QtyRemained, etc.

I also set up a data entry form named frmReceivals where the user can populate the QtyReceived field for adding a new record. The QtyRemained field is not on this form.

How can I assign the input QtyReceived value to the QtyRemained value (these two fields should have the same values) in a new added record, using a frmReceivals event procedure?

THANKS!
    Using Access you have 2 ways to populate a table by using a form.
    The first is by using bounded controls (this means that the fields of the table are assigned to for example a textbox).
    I used this way in the beginning, but I didn't like it.
    Why ?
    Suppose you are entering data into textboxes on the form, but they're not all completed yet. When you swith to a subform, Access will already add the 'incomplete' record to the table because of autocommit.
    Therefore I prefer the second way.
    I do not assign my controls to a field (unbound controls)
    I fill in my data and only when pressing a buttun I will add the record to the table.

Your table is like this :
    MaterialName, QtyReceived, QtyDisposed, QtyRemained

Your form contains 3 textboxes :
    txtName, txtReceived, txtDisposed

You can use this code :
    Code:
    public sub button_Click()

Dim strSQL as String

strSQL = 
    "INSERT INTO tblReceivals (MaterialName, QtyReceived, QtyDisposed, QtyRemained) " & _
    "VALUES (" & txtName.text & "," &  val(txtReceived.text) & "," & val( txtDisposed.text) & "," &  val(txtReceived.text) & ")"

Docmd.runSQL strSQL

end sub
    If you really want to use the first method you can put an invisible textbox on the form for QtyRemained.
    In the QtyReceived_Change - event you write

Code:
    txtRemained.text = txtReceived.text
    Hope this will help you out.
    Last edited by artemide; 04-28-03 at 03:32.