Angry Unanswered: Lost permissions on Admin account.

My first post to this board, so hi everyone!

I have a client who has come to me with an interesting problem. I have been provided with an Access 97 database that has user level security enabled - and I have been provided with the .mdw file as well. The standard groups are set up in the .mdw (Admins and Users), and there are two users set up as well (Admin and another). The passwords for both user accounts are blank. I have experimented with opening the database under both user accounts and changing their group membership to all possible combinations.

Here is the interesting part... both user accounts and both groups have no permissions whatsoever in the database. I am able to open the database and view the database container. However, I cannot open any form, table, module, or query in design view. When I look at the permissions in the security manager, user accounts and both groups have lost all permissions to all database objects (including the database, forms, queries, etc...). I cannot export any objects to a clean database, I cannot import any objects from a clean database, I can create a new user account, but I cannot change any permissions for it, I cannot change user permissions or take ownership of any objects, and I cannot change any group permissions. I've been searchin for quite some time, but cannot find an instance where the Admin account has lost all permissions to a database...

Any ideas for reclaiming this database?

Thanks in advance.

I've had similar problems (although they were actually my fault) but I always managed to export all objects into a new database. I'm not sure if it would be practical (or legal) but I would really like to see this problem.

Would it contravene (good word for me) and Data Protection or Copyright laws if you attached a copy of the database and the MDW file?

John

Thank you, John, for the reply.

To answer your question, copyright laws would not be an issue. Data integrity issues should not be an issue since the DB is a split front and back end, and I need only send you the front end.

Ethically, however, I will have to consult with my client. Please send me an email at NoseHonker@hotmail.com and, if possible, I will send the files over to you when and if I get the OK from my client.

Anybody else have any secrets for getting into a database the Admin account has been locked out of? Somebody must have seen this happen before...

Thanks again.

What happened is that Admin security was taken away. The problem is that Admin is the owner of the database. When you take away the Admin rights and Admin is still the owner (or creator) of the database, you run in to many problems. I found this out the hard way just as you did.

Luckily, we had a nother user on the database with Admin rights and were able to salvage what we had done. The reason you are able to log into the database is becuase a password MUST be set for the Admin account or anyone can log on.

One quick solution to try is

You need to get a copy of someone elses system.mdw file. You will need to find someone else with the same version of access as you. MAKE sure you can open Access up without entering a password. If so, this is the security file you need.

Go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\

The file will be called system.mdw. Copy this file from someone elses computer from this location to your computer at the same location.

You need to make sure that access is connected to this file BEFORE you open the database. This is how you do that.

Open the following file
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\WRKGADM.EXE

Hit the JOIN button. Then, browse to the file you just copied C:\WINDOWS\system32\system.mdw. Hit ok and EXIT. Open up Access97 then browse to your database. This should eliminate all security on the database.

The problem with the database is that the database is perfectly secured.

The database will open with any MDW file (as there is no password set) but the permissions are tied really tight.

Is there anyway to reset the permissions? I kind of half hope there isn't, as this would make Access the most insecure application in existence (well it is Microsoft).

Thanks
    J.

The permissions are not only tied really tight... they are nonexistant. The Admin account does not have a single permission available for any database object in the .mdb.

And yes, it is a Microsoft product... that's what was still giving me hope that there might be some way of resetting the permissions! ;-) Or maybe at least getting the database objects out to an unsecured databae...
    Last edited by NoseHonker; 04-30-03 at 12:26.

tsyscps:

Thanks for the reply, but, unfortunately, this is an oversimplification of the problem. I have no trouble getting into the database, as I stated, but the problem is that the Admin account does not have any permissions for any of the database objects. This cannot be resolved by simply opening up the .mdb with a clean .mdw...

basically then it's the same as having lost the MDW.

How do you get into a database without the MDW?

Originally posted by johncameron
    basically then it's the same as having lost the MDW.

How do you get into a database without the MDW?
    It's not really the same as having lost the .mdw... at least we have an Admin account that we can enter the database with - just lacking permissions to do anything .

So how do you get permissions back on a database that you've lost permissions to?