Question Unanswered: Dial-up replication - same domain?

Hi,

When setting up dial-up replication (via RAS, not Internet) is it possible for the 2 servers to be in different domains?

I've seen a lot of comments that suggest that both ends should be in the same domain, but I'm wondering if this is required, or simply suggested for ease of configuration.

Any advice much appreciated.

Andrew

As long as both domains are trusted to each other then no worries.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

Sounds good. Both domains will be Windows 2K, so I should be able to set up what I need.

Thanks for the feedback.

For instance try to copy file between domains and see the results;
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

File copying works a treat.

Now on to the difficult bit ... replication :-)

It is but be prepared and refer to books online for initial help.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

I've already got replication working across the LAN so I'm comfortable enough with that, (in an amateur kind of way) but I've just made a discovery that might make my life really difficult...

I'm hoping to replicate from one SBS 2K machine to another SBS 2K machine via dial-up. The RAS dial-up connectivity works, but visibility seems to be one way. I can only map drives &c from the machine that initiated the call. From the RAS server, I can't see/map drives on the client that dialled in. If this is not normal/expected behaviour, then I'm guessing that its a trust issue and I started looking at that, only to discover that it seems you can't create inter-domain trusts with SBS. It seems to be a limitation of the SBS version of Windows 2000.

Sooooo......, if my dial-up login credentials aren't enough to give me all I need to get replication happening, I don't know what I'll do.

Fleeing the country comes to mind ... !

I'm going to try replication now and see what happens.

Wish me luck ...

Our setup replicates between serveral servers of which all but one are *not* on a domain. Took a bit of fiddling with IDs (there are several places you have to set user id's and passwords) but it can be done.

OK, cool, so I should be able to get it to work then.

Now for the really silly question ...

How do I actually get to see the server over dial-up so I can setup the subscription? When I establish the dial-up link I can't see the server at the other end using Enterprise Mgr so I can't define the Pull subscription. Should I be able to just register it and it should just work?

I know I'm missing something really dumb here!

TIA

Update: I've got the server registration going over dial-up now, but only by IP address, not by server name.

Then trying to define the Pull subscription generates an error which I'm guessing is because the remote server is registered by IP address & not by name.

DNS setup problem?