Unanswered: ado problem vb6/ingres

I'm tring to use ado to access an ingres ii 2.5 database (solaris version) from a vb6 app. My problem is that I'm trying to do a recordset MoveFirst method, but the recordset is not allowing that because somehow the recordset.Cursortype property is getting changed to adOpenForwardOnly, even though I'm settting it to adOpenStatic in my code. It's like the adOpenStatic isn't supported by Ingres' ODBC driver, but that can't be possible, can it?

Here's the code in question

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Dim utilitiesDBconn As New ADODB.Connection

utilitiesDBconn.Open "DSN=CA_med_m;uid=ingres;pwd=dbadmin"
    sql_prod = "select * from productivity"
    Dim rs As New ADODB.Recordset
    rs.CursorLocation = adUseServer
    On Error GoTo 0
    rs.Open Source:=sql_prod, _
    ActiveConnection:=utilitiesDBconn, _
    CursorType:=adOpenStatic, _
    LockType:=adLockReadOnly
    rs.MoveFirst
    rs.MoveLast

changing the order of movefirst and movelast has no effect. I also tried adOpenDynamic and adOpenKeySet, but no matter what I set it at, in debug mode, if I "print rs.CursorType" 0 gets printed, which is adOpenForwardOnly.

I'm actually converting a DAO application to ADO, and it was working fine under DAO, so I'm pretty sure that means that the ODBC driver DOES support cursors other than forward only.

Greg

Re: ado problem vb6/ingres

As far as I can see your ar trying to set the cursor type after the cursor opening.
    You should do that before like:

rs.CursorType:=adOpenDynamic
    rs.ActiveConnection:=utilitiesDBconn

rs.open sql_prod
    rs.MoveFirst
    :
    rs.MoveLast

Cheers

Originally posted by gadams00
    I'm tring to use ado to access an ingres ii 2.5 database (solaris version) from a vb6 app. My problem is that I'm trying to do a recordset MoveFirst method, but the recordset is not allowing that because somehow the recordset.Cursortype property is getting changed to adOpenForwardOnly, even though I'm settting it to adOpenStatic in my code. It's like the adOpenStatic isn't supported by Ingres' ODBC driver, but that can't be possible, can it?

Here's the code in question

Dim utilitiesDBconn As New ADODB.Connection

utilitiesDBconn.Open "DSN=CA_med_m;uid=ingres;pwd=dbadmin"
    sql_prod = "select * from productivity"
    On Error GoTo 0
    rs.Open Source:=sql_prod, _
    ActiveConnection:=utilitiesDBconn, _
    CursorType:=adOpenStatic, _
    LockType:=adLockReadOnly
    rs.MoveFirst
    rs.MoveLast

changing the order of movefirst and movelast has no effect. I also tried adOpenDynamic and adOpenKeySet, but no matter what I set it at, in debug mode, if I "print rs.CursorType" 0 gets printed, which is adOpenForwardOnly.

I'm actually converting a DAO application to ADO, and it was working fine under DAO, so I'm pretty sure that means that the ODBC driver DOES support cursors other than forward only.

Greg
    Steve

actually

it turns out that I needed to change the cursorLocation of the connection, not the recordset.