Unanswered: Force data entry

Greetings,
    I have a main form called HouseHold and a subform called Applicants. For every HouseHold there can be more than one applicant (one-to-many relation). I’m trying to force users to first enter HouseHold information before they enter applicant’s info. If they try, then a Message should come up saying like “You must first enter HouseHold’s info…” How can this be accomplished?

Thank you in advance,
    DD

Re: Force data entry

Originally posted by OCM
    Greetings,
    I have a main form called HouseHold and a subform called Applicants. For every HouseHold there can be more than one applicant (one-to-many relation). I’m trying to force users to first enter HouseHold information before they enter applicant’s info. If they try, then a Message should come up saying like “You must first enter HouseHold’s info…” How can this be accomplished?

Thank you in advance,
    DD
    In the Table where Household exists, go to design view. Select the Household field. Near the bottom, under the General Tab, change ther "Required" property to Yes. This will force someone to enter a value for this field in all future instances, whether they are entering it directly in the table or in a form, etc..... Unfortunately, I don't know how to get the Message to show up....

Re: Force data entry

Originally posted by OCM
    Greetings,

Thank you in advance,
    DD

One of the best features of MS Access is the flexability provided by the use of Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). You can do most anything you want in Access progmaticly. There are a lot of different solutions to your situation that can be accomplished with a little bit of code. Here are just a couple of solutions for example:

1) Hide or lock the Applicants subform until the Houshold data has been supplied.
    2) Trap the keystokes in the Applicants subform and ignore them until
    the Household data has been supplied.
    3) Return focus to Household data entry when the Applicants subForm receives focus.

If you would like code samples on how to do this then please e-mail me.