Unanswered: multiple tnsnames.ora

A client has SQL Plus, Toad & D2K intalled. I have added new db service in tnsnames.ora & I can connect to db through sql plus but while connecting through Toad I get tnsname protocol error. This might be because since multiple tnsnames.ora file is created, the file used is not the one in which the db service is added. Can I now which tnsnames.ora file is being used & can I restrict to use a specific tnsnames.ora file.

Hi sadiq,
    The scenario u are using is a very common one.
    because u are using local naming,each of these softwares use their own tnsnames.ora files.
    if u have configured a service name in the oracle home then all the products in that home can use that tnsnames.
    if u want d2k to use a service name then u will have to configure it using the net easy config tool in the d2k home.
    Toad does not have a network config utility.it uses the available tnsnames.ora from oracle client or d2k

Hope this answers your question.
    Cheers
    Murali

Hi,
    Open TOAD, click New Connection and click on SQL*Net Help - look for where it is looking for the tnsnames.ora file.
    Should help.
    Rgs,
    Breen.

download from sysinternals filemon.exe

start it from a local drive from your pc and restict it to toad.exe

it will show the tnsnames.ora file and location and its path info

modify this file to the sids you want to use with toad

but the best bet is to only have one tnsnames.ora file with all nessasary entries
    the can build a new regentry tnsnames key

Thumbs up

Oracle looks into TNS_ADMIN variable to determine from where to read the networking files: tnsnames.ora, listener.ora, sqlnet.ora. etc.

By default is - %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin, but change(or lookup) in the registry can change this..

Hope that helps,

clio_usa - OCP - DBA

dbaclick.com

I wrote a utility that will update and sync all of your oracle homes (it will also display all of them to you, actually). Feel free to use:
    https://github.com/artybug/TNSNamesSync

-A