Unanswered: Database does not mount automatically @ startup

I m really new to Oracle so pls be patient with me askin this ques probably u may hav seen a thousand times...

I installed Oracle 8i and setup a new database. The problem is that this database does not automatically startup (mount) after I reboot the Win2k Adv Server ... I hav to log in as Sysdba and startup the instance manually ...

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks a million!

Pixie

Hi Pixie,

Go to ControlPanel->Adminstrativetools->Services.

Scroll down to find the service named OracleService<instancename>. Right click, select properties and set startup type to automatic.

HTH
    Bill

Hi Pixie,

If the billm's suggestion doesn't work, Just comment the following line in the /$ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/sqlnet.ora and restart the server.

#SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

Chenna

Hi the database doesn't start automatically after a reboot then 9out of 10 times the service is not automatic.coz the instance is binded to the service.If it doesn't work even after making the service automatic,u might probably need to edit the registry to make the startup paramerte auto.i will let u know the parameter if u require.

Hi chenna,
    i didn't understand how
    If the billm's suggestion doesn't work, Just comment the following line in the /$ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/sqlnet.ora and restart the server.

#SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

this is going to solve the problem.can u explain
    Cheers
    Murali

Smile

Hi murali,
    What I understood from the problem : Pixie just installed oracle8i. So, there could not be any problem with oracle registry settings. There could be problem with one of the management files.
    Actually, I forgot to ask pixie which version of oracle he is using. My suggestion was for oracle 8.1.7(win2k). It has some problem with sqlnet.ora.

Chenna

Hi chenna,

i had the same problem with 8.1.7 on win2k server.
    Actually there is a startup parameter for database.by default it is manual.unless specified at the instance creation time.my understanding or the sqlnet.ora is for authentication from clients .i have not come across this file in any manuals when the database startup or instance start is referred.so i was just qurious.any further information u can share is welcome.

Thanks
    Cheers
    Murali

Thanks everyone for your response.

My oracle version is 8.1.7(win2k). I aleready set the DB instance service to startup automatically but still doesn't work. Will try out the suggestion to comment out line. Thanks!

I had the same problem of the database not mounting and opening after a reboot with Oracle 10g. I finally figured out the problem and solution.

The startup of the database requires access to the pfile. I choose not to have the pfile in the default location under the Oracle Home. Therefore although the service OracleServiceSID started, it could not auto start the database.

You can specify an alternate location for the pfile when creating the service.

Oradim -new -sid SID -startmode auto -pfile C:\mypath\InitSID.ora

To correct the problem I had to tell the service where my pfile is. That is done in the registry at LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Oracle/KEY_OraDb10g_home1. I had to create a string registry value called ORA_SID_PFILE, where SID is my Oracle SID. The value of the registry setting is the full path of pfile.