Unanswered: MDW file in use error

I am working on a 25 user Access 97 database running windows NT4. It works great most of the time, but once in a while (today) a user (today its me!) will
    get the "Couldn't use .mdw'; File already in use" error.

I dont have a problem with the folder permissions in NT. Can you help?

How many users

How many users are using your db at the same time? Does your db have a front and back end?

Re: How many users

Originally posted by Chumpie999typla
    How many users are using your db at the same time? Does your db have a front and back end?
    I have at the most 20 users in the data file at a time. We do have it in a front end back end configuation, with all files acessing the same MDW file. I have been using it in this manner for almost two years with no problems. The number of users have increased lately. and with icreased use I have run into this problem a couple of times. Interestingly only new users get the error, current users are not bothered, even after logging off and then back on. The problem is remedied after all users logoff and the data base is inactive for a short period of time.

Got the same msg with a 25~ user database . removed some of the reporting functionality which was quite cpu heave & the problem (which was occuring twice daily) only happened once or twice weekly. So, in my experience, this problem will occur when there is too much data activity (page reads/locks) - think it's got s'thing to do with the ldb file too - as the only solution seems to be get everyone aout asap.

Fergal

Lightbulb Front Ends

I am almost certain that seperate front ends with linked tables will solve this problem.

Let me know if you need help on how to do this

Originally posted by fergal303
    Got the same msg with a 25~ user database . removed some of the reporting functionality which was quite cpu heave & the problem (which was occuring twice daily) only happened once or twice weekly. So, in my experience, this problem will occur when there is too much data activity (page reads/locks) - think it's got s'thing to do with the ldb file too - as the only solution seems to be get everyone aout asap.

Fergal
    Thanks I'm not thinking this is the problem, as my users do not use reporting functions much. There is quite a load on the system with many page reads and locks though. I did stumble onto an MS knowledge base article (103254) that indicates this problem can happen when users select a new file from the bottom of the file menu rather than open file. I'm still looking for answers on "how it happens" and how to fix without everyone exiting the program

Re: Front Ends

Originally posted by garethdart
    I am almost certain that seperate front ends with linked tables will solve this problem.

Let me know if you need help on how to do this
    Thanks for the offer; I am already using separate front ends on all machines. Linked tables are to several backends rather than just one. Also some back ends DBs are replicated. I don't know if this has anything to do with it tho. Please see also my reply to ferga1303 regarding MS knowledge Base article 103254