Unanswered: Error 3043 In VB/Access App Since Migration To Win 2000 Server

Hello,

I have a VB5 SP3 / Access '97 app that has been running smoothly for years. Recently, users have been getting an occasional "Error 3043" disk or network unavailable message. The error is not reproduceable on demand - it occurs randomly. Several changes were recenly made to our hardware but I can't figure out which one is causing the error.

1) Our old P-200 servers were replaced with 900 Mhz servers running Win 2000 SP3. The network runs slower with the new servers! Some of the original hubs and switches in our network are old and only run at 10Mps.

2) The Access database was not converted to the Access 2002 format so older PC's (with Win 97) can still use the software - So it still employs the original (seperate) .mdw security file. Maintenance is done from Office 97.

3) Older workstations are P-350's & P-500's running Win 95 & Office 97 while the old P-166's were replaced with Win XP Pro and Office 2002.

My guess is that the old 10Mps speed limitation on some of our network hardware is the bottlkneck. I know there's a lot of variables but at this point - any ideas on what's causing the error would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You For Your Time,

Dave

I'd say your guess is mostly correct. We had similar problems with our hardware upgrades. Suddenly all of our Access databases were going corrupt (and unfixable) on a regular basis. It didn't make any sense.

Finally, I figured out that when the folders got moved from the old servers, the user rights had changed. The users still had read access to the database folders, but no write access, which means the .ldb (user-locking) file couldn't be created in the network folder. This led either to the .ldb file getting created on the local PC or not at all in some cases. So there was no way to resolve data discrepancies or transaction errors and constant corruption ensued.

I fixed the user rights and the problems have all but disappeared. I believe there are still some problems with the old switches needing to be upgraded because occasionally there are errors, but not nearly as frequently.

Ultimately, I have found a need for more robust transaction processing. I am currently working on getting all the Access front-ends switched over to an Oracle back-end, so that should solve all data transaction problems.

Hello Ixalmida,

Thanks for the reply. Could you tell what the Oracle licensing is like - is it a fee per user, is it "X" number of concurrent users, or is ditributable "royalty free" for our In-house applications on the LAN?

Thanks Again For Your Input,

Dave

Either of two license schemes:

-fee per user
    -fee per processor

Don't ask me what the costs are. I don't deal with the costs.

Re: Error 3043 In VB/Access App Since Migration To Win 2000 Server

Hello, I'm a visual basic programmer working with Access DB's. I found two possible causes for "Error 3043" disk or network unavailable message.

1. Access DB is open and someone is trying to write to it.

and..

2. http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

My problem was #1.
    I was trying to write to an already open Access DB on a network drive and the error occurred because of this. I closed the DB and was able to use Visual Basic to write to the DB. So possibly look for this in regards to the Error 3043 problem. Just a suggestion..