Thread: 97, 2000, 2002

Unanswered: 97, 2000, 2002

I have a database that I am updating written in access 97. I need to make it available to access 2000 and 2002. Is the best way to do this to create a frontend/backend database? Is there an easier way? I have never done this - though I get the basic concept. Any thoughts and links are appreciated - especially pitfalls, and methods for keeping frontends up-to date!

thanks!

I think the best thing (easiest anyway) would be to make the database into 2000. This will work with both 2000 and 2002.

If the database is written in DAO then there is no need to rewrite the whole database in ADO. Just use the save as version function in 2002 to upgrade it. This will add the appropriate references for DAO.

John

I need to access this database from 97, 2000, and 2002. Upgrading the database will disenable 97 users to connect, yes? unenable? renonenable?! jeesh, I sound like Bush (or J. Jackson)

My mistake. You'r right. In order for all users to use it (97 - 2002) you'll have to keep it as 97.

Although as you say you can create different front ends for each version but this seems like a lot of work for little gain.

As for keeping the forin ends up to date (I guess you mean with changes that you have made and not with versions of access). What I do is I package the database using the setup wizard. and then an email to all the users saying to run the setup file.

If you check out the Knowledge Base on Microsoft they've got a bit about it.

John
    J.

Thanks John, i looked a bit for info on packaging databases - it looks like the easiest solution. Could you point me to some info on this? thanks again!

What you need is the Developer tools that come with the developer edition (can sometimes be purchased separately).

The setup/packaging wizard is really easy to use. Once you get a copy of the tools, the documentation that comes with them will be self explanatory.