Unhappy Unanswered: VB Setting the Locale ID - LCID

Please help!
    I want to set the locale ID in my Visual Basic program to English -UK settings so that the date will be formatted dd/mm/yyyy regardless of what the computer settings are.
    In VB scripting there are GetLocale() and SetLocale() functions which I can't get to work in VB 6.0. Are there similar functions for VB?
    Any comments appreciated!!

Re: VB Setting the Locale ID - LCID

Originally posted by corla
    Please help!
    I want to set the locale ID in my Visual Basic program to English -UK settings so that the date will be formatted dd/mm/yyyy regardless of what the computer settings are.
    In VB scripting there are GetLocale() and SetLocale() functions which I can't get to work in VB 6.0. Are there similar functions for VB?
    Any comments appreciated!!
    I do not know about the existance of GetLocale() and SetLocale() in VB but you can always use FORMAT:

FORMAT (Now, "dd/mm/yyyy")
    Steve

Unhappy Re: VB Setting the Locale ID - LCID

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that but I couldn't get it to work for me. Am I using it correctly?

Dim dCalldate as Date
    dCalldate = Format(date_dtp.Value, "dd/mm/yyyy")
    (where date_dtp is a DT Picker component on my form)

It's a bit strange...it will format the date e.g. 08/05/2003 as mm/dd/yyyy
    but if I put in the date 13/05/2003 then it will format it as dd/mm/yyyy

Thanks,
    Córla.

Hi Corla,

That's happend because you declared dCalldate as DATE instead of STRING. The FORMAT function returns a string, so there is your problem. Try this:

Dim dCalldate as String
    dCalldate = Format (CDate(date_dtp.Value), "dd/mm/yyyy")
    Debug.Print dCalldate

Originally posted by corla
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for that but I couldn't get it to work for me. Am I using it correctly?

Dim dCalldate as Date
    dCalldate = Format(date_dtp.Value, "dd/mm/yyyy")
    (where date_dtp is a DT Picker component on my form)

It's a bit strange...it will format the date e.g. 08/05/2003 as mm/dd/yyyy
    but if I put in the date 13/05/2003 then it will format it as dd/mm/yyyy

Thanks,
    Córla.
    Steve

Wink Re: VB Setting the Locale ID - LCID

Disco!!
    You are a star - tanx a million !!

Córla

Just FYI - Get/SetLocale() works in VB scripting because the Windows API is available to VB script without declaring the functions. To use API functions in VB, you would have to declare the functions in a program module:

Declare Function GetLocaleInfo Lib "kernel32" Alias "GetLocaleInfoA" (ByVal Locale As Long, ByVal LCType As Long, ByVal lpLCData As String, ByVal cchData As Long) As Long

Declare Function SetLocaleInfo Lib "kernel32" Alias "SetLocaleInfoA" (ByVal Locale As Long, ByVal LCType As Long, ByVal lpLCData As String) As Long

These functions are native to Windows rather than VB and work on a system level.

Thanks for the tip

Originally posted by Ixalmida
    Just FYI - Get/SetLocale() works in VB scripting because the Windows API is available to VB script without declaring the functions. To use API functions in VB, you would have to declare the functions in a program module:

Declare Function GetLocaleInfo Lib "kernel32" Alias "GetLocaleInfoA" (ByVal Locale As Long, ByVal LCType As Long, ByVal lpLCData As String, ByVal cchData As Long) As Long

Declare Function SetLocaleInfo Lib "kernel32" Alias "SetLocaleInfoA" (ByVal Locale As Long, ByVal LCType As Long, ByVal lpLCData As String) As Long

These functions are native to Windows rather than VB and work on a system level.
    Steve