Unanswered: Split and strings

I've been trying to get the Split function to chop off urls at the first slash after dot-com or co-dot-uk etc. In other words, to make the url - I have miles of them to do this to - as short as possible yet still usable.

I have been trying in a variety of queries, all with no success. Has anyone done this before please and know what works? cheers

kupe

Assuming that you have a table (Table1) with a text field (url) you can use this query:

SELECT Table1.url, InStr([url],"://") AS Pos1, Mid([url],IIf([Pos1],[Pos1]+3,1),Len([url])) AS url1, InStr([url1],"/") AS Pos2, IIf([Pos2],Left([url1],[Pos2]-1),[Url1]) AS ShortUrl
    FROM Table1;

In my table I have three records:

http://www2.omnitel.net/smirlis/tmp/schule.html
    www2.omnitel.net/smirlis/tmp/schule.html
    www2.omnitel.net

The result is in column ShortUrl of the above query like this:
    ShortUrl
    www2.omnitel.net
    www2.omnitel.net
    www2.omnitel.net

Note. In the end you may go on page: http://www2.omnitel.net/smirlis/tmp/schule.html (is very funny).

Hopping that this is what you wanted,
    Florin Profeanu
    floreanuprofin@yahoo.com

Looks very good, Florin. Really grateful.

Very good, Florin, only it isn't working in my query. Just in case, I've tried it as qbe and sql, and anything else I can think of. Be grateful for a little more instruction on how you use it.
    Your site is very good, and much chuckling. Cheers.

Sorry, Florin, my (stupid) mistake, sorry. Going perfectly, of course. It's a very handy piece of code and works really well. Really grateful.