Unanswered: db2 performance on AIX

i have a problem with db2 performance on aix box. i did the development work on windows platform. after i completed the application and database design, i used the copy function on control center to copy all the tables from windows platform to aix platform. both db2 are version 7. The "copy" is also include data as well.

i had run and tested the application (built in jsp web based) on development environment (windows). it runs perfect and smoothly. when i tested run on aix environment, the performance decreaze. e.g. i do a search on records, it took only less than 15 sec on windows platform, while it took abt 2~3 mins on aix platform.

i had checked the db configuration on both machine.. they are almost the same. also i did another experiment on windows platform. i use the same method as i did to aix as well. i created another new database and use "copy" function from control center to copy all tables over new database. surprisingly, it work as fast as my original db.

how could it be gone wrong? system performance? the aix is rs6000 pSeries dual processor, windows is intel xeon dual processor.

is there anything i need to tune in aix box? pl show me any suggestion... thanks a million....

At first,I would check indexes.

Re: db2 performance on AIX

Check the indexes and also do a runstats on the AIX box ...

If you still see a difference in performance, I would suggest the first thing you look from your end is compare the access paths for the queries ...

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by zyan
    i have a problem with db2 performance on aix box. i did the development work on windows platform. after i completed the application and database design, i used the copy function on control center to copy all the tables from windows platform to aix platform. both db2 are version 7. The "copy" is also include data as well.

i had run and tested the application (built in jsp web based) on development environment (windows). it runs perfect and smoothly. when i tested run on aix environment, the performance decreaze. e.g. i do a search on records, it took only less than 15 sec on windows platform, while it took abt 2~3 mins on aix platform.

i had checked the db configuration on both machine.. they are almost the same. also i did another experiment on windows platform. i use the same method as i did to aix as well. i created another new database and use "copy" function from control center to copy all tables over new database. surprisingly, it work as fast as my original db.

how could it be gone wrong? system performance? the aix is rs6000 pSeries dual processor, windows is intel xeon dual processor.

is there anything i need to tune in aix box? pl show me any suggestion... thanks a million....

i had created same indexes on both system. also, do u mind to give me the command of runstats? coz i m kinda new to this...

also, wat do u mean by access paths for the queries? thanks..

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    Check the indexes and also do a runstats on the AIX box ...

If you still see a difference in performance, I would suggest the first thing you look from your end is compare the access paths for the queries ...

Cheers

Sathyaram

db2 "? runstats"

you cannot compare db performance on aix and windows right away. Usually, database and database manager configurations are set to lowest common levels to make sure DB2 will start "out of the box". You may gain significant improvement by tuning memory allocation to sort heap and bufferpools. But first you would need to do some thorough monitoring.

Are you positive that your database design is appropriate and queries are precise and succinct? Because this is where the meat is most of the time.

i had created same indexes on both system. also, do u mind to give me the command of runstats? coz i m kinda new to this...

also, wat do u mean by access paths for the queries? thanks..

i had run the runstats command.. i assume i c the statistic from performance montor in control center rite?

Originally posted by jsander
    db2 "? runstats"

you cannot compare db performance on aix and windows right away. Usually, database and database manager configurations are set to lowest common levels to make sure DB2 will start "out of the box". You may gain significant improvement by tuning memory allocation to sort heap and bufferpools. But first you would need to do some thorough monitoring.

Are you positive that your database design is appropriate and queries are precise and succinct? Because this is where the meat is most of the time.

Run the runstats with the following command:

db2 "runstats on table table_name with distribution and detailed indexes all"

Hope this helps,
    Grofaty

Did you create the bufferpools for the tablespaces? If not do so and monitor the system to make sure the hit ratio is above 75%.