Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    65

    Unanswered: Too many controls in a SubForm???

    I am using a MainForm and a SubForm for data entry. There are too many fields in the SubForm that the user needs to enter and since the SubForm window is not wide enough he has to use the slide bar to move from one field to another. I find this not very convinient and am looking for some alternative solutions.

    Questions 1: Is there any way to have the SubForm controls going in a column rather then in a row (which is the default setting). And how? For example could I line them up like this:

    SubForm:

    ProductId
    ProductName
    ProductType
    Etc.

    Question 2: If this is not possible, could I use an input box and get all the required data in the table. But, then, before updating the current record I would like to see the whole record (maybe in MsgBox), verify and then process by clicking OK. Or something like this. Any opinions if this is good aproach, or just a sily and unefficient idea.

    I am willing to explore any other ideas. Thanks for your input.

    Jazz

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Providence, RI
    Posts
    12

    Re: Too many controls in a SubForm???

    Sure there is.

    Just open the form in design view and drag the controls into the layout you want. If you're having problems getting everything lined up, select the controls and/or labels that you want to align and use the format>align command from the menu bar to snap 'em into place.

    Good luck.
    -------------
    Originally posted by jazz novice
    I am using a MainForm and a SubForm for data entry. There are too many fields in the SubForm that the user needs to enter and since the SubForm window is not wide enough he has to use the slide bar to move from one field to another. I find this not very convinient and am looking for some alternative solutions.

    Questions 1: Is there any way to have the SubForm controls going in a column rather then in a row (which is the default setting). And how? For example could I line them up like this:

    SubForm:

    ProductId
    ProductName
    ProductType
    Etc.

    Question 2: If this is not possible, could I use an input box and get all the required data in the table. But, then, before updating the current record I would like to see the whole record (maybe in MsgBox), verify and then process by clicking OK. Or something like this. Any opinions if this is good aproach, or just a sily and unefficient idea.

    I am willing to explore any other ideas. Thanks for your input.

    Jazz

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    65

    Re: Too many controls in a SubForm???

    Originally posted by popfly
    Sure there is.

    Just open the form in design view and drag the controls into the layout you want. If you're having problems getting everything lined up, select the controls and/or labels that you want to align and use the format>align command from the menu bar to snap 'em into place.

    Good luck.
    -------------
    Hey Popfly,
    Thanks. I was with the impression that the controls must be lined up in a raw because the MS Wizard is doing it that way. I should have known this -

    It works, thanks again.
    Jazz

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Providence, RI
    Posts
    12

    Talking Re: Too many controls in a SubForm???

    No problem.

    Originally posted by jazz novice
    Hey Popfly,
    Thanks. I was with the impression that the controls must be lined up in a raw because the MS Wizard is doing it that way. I should have known this -

    It works, thanks again.
    Jazz

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Leicester - UK
    Posts
    820
    if your don't want the hassle of doing it the above way use the form wizard to make the subform seperatly then the subform wizard to link, personaly i don't use either, i do it manually it's almost as easy as the wizard and the results are so much better
    Definition of a Beginner, Someone who doesn't know the rules.

    Definition of an Expert, Someone who knows when to ignore the rules.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •