Thread: Access Limits

Question Unanswered: Access Limits

Hello all

I would really like to know what are some recognised limits of Access 2k databases or better still unofficial limits that are best not to cross where performace/relability may be unreasonably affected etc, does anyone know what they may be? or have experiance of them?

I was thinking in terms of database size, number/size of records, networked users etc but any sort of metric would be very helpfull

Thanks...
    Last edited by Mara; 05-08-03 at 14:43.

The Size limit of an access file is 2Gb

The user limit is 255, but when you reach about 10-20 users, depending on your database structure you will start getting record locking prompts

I have had tables with 20+ Fields with 250,000+ Records without problems, it all depends on how your queries are written. As far as I know there is no record limit, only the size limit
    JJ Kennedy
    Double J IT Solutions
    www.doublejit.co.nz

VB 6, VB.NET, ASP.NET, MS SQL Server, MySQL, MS Access

Hi,

I use Access 97, and I want to know if the space limit is 2G or 1G ? It seems to be 1G (and I have a problem with that ). I have to store pictures in my database, that's why I need space.

Searching offline Access help on "specifications" will give you the official specs.

Provided Answers: 59
    I use Access 97, and I want to know if the space limit is 2G or 1G ? It seems to be 1G (and I have a problem with that ). I have to store pictures in my database, that's why I need space.
    Then don't store pictures in your database, that should get the db size down. Store a URL to the physical location of the picture instead. Although there are potential pitfalls if someone deletes the picture outside access the performance gains (imho) are significant and worht having.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Swatch
    Hi,

Is there some technical or security reasons that would prevent you from storing PATHS to your images instead of storing them as binaries?

User count and load are the main factors to look at for limits of access. Access is meant as a small-project platform, it does not perform very well in large-scale enterprise level environments.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    Is there some technical or security reasons that would prevent you from storing PATHS to your images instead of storing them as binaries?
    Not really... I just want to be able to see the picture in my form (and when I print my form. And the only way that I know is to store the pics in de db

Is there an other solution ?

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    User count and load are the main factors to look at for limits of access. Access is meant as a small-project platform, it does not perform very well in large-scale enterprise level environments.
    It's not for a really big project :
    400 items (dies and jigs in a shop)
    6 columns (ID, description, drawing No, location, notes, pics)

My problem is the 1 Gig limit of Access 97.

Provided Answers: 1
    You can use a "linked" picture instead of imbedded. It's an property of the image control.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Provided Answers: 59
    if you are going to link images rather than embed them, then make sure you specify the location using a full network file specification eg
    \\servername\path\to\file\image.jpg

personally i'd just store the path to the image as a string within Access, place some code to display the picture in an unbound image / picture control in the forms oncurrent event. The only down side is that some else may come along and delete or modify the images and you may end up with an invlaid pointer to the image or an incorrect image.

If you store them within the databae, then you know you are not prone to such errors but you are storing a huge amount of datain the DB, and it will be a struggle to do backups. With a good bit of network design you can reduce the risk of this happening by controlling the permissions on the directory holding the images.

I think I shall add this to my personal FGA.
    Your answer .
    Darasen