Unanswered: data loads and row count comparison on DB2 UDB

Hi folks,

I am tasked with performing data loads and to compare row counts on our two separate DB2 UDB database servers. Problem is no documentation exists and I need to run the data loads and improve problems with row counts on the data loaded from our campus site to the colo site. Any tips and tricks on doing this with DB2 UDB 7.1 on AIX? Thanks !

Scott
    DB2 UDB DBA

Re: data loads and row count comparison on DB2 UDB

Sorry ... I'm completely lost ...

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by mixxalot
    Hi folks,

I am tasked with performing data loads and to compare row counts on our two separate DB2 UDB database servers. Problem is no documentation exists and I need to run the data loads and improve problems with row counts on the data loaded from our campus site to the colo site. Any tips and tricks on doing this with DB2 UDB 7.1 on AIX? Thanks !

Scott
    DB2 UDB DBA

Sathyaram

We are running a nitely batch job to load a batch of data from our main site to a secondary backup site using DB2 UDB. I am tasked with coming up with a method for disaster recovery for these nitely batch loads that will check row counts of the data tables that are moved to the secondary site that will ensure data integrity. How can I do this using the LOAD, EXPORT, IMPORT, and DB2MOVE commands? We use a mix of these commands for our data loads since we have a mix of data tables in seperate batch jobs. Thanks.

Hi mixxalot,

LOAD, EXPORT, IMPORT and db2move can create human readable message files. You can extract the information with a text processing tool, write it to a summary file and finally diff the summary files.

I would use perl for a task like this but a shell skript should do as well.

Johann

Sathyaram

We are running a nitely batch job to load a batch of data from our main site to a secondary backup site using DB2 UDB. I am tasked with coming up with a method for disaster recovery for these nitely batch loads that will check row counts of the data tables that are moved to the secondary site that will ensure data integrity. How can I do this using the LOAD, EXPORT, IMPORT, and DB2MOVE commands? We use a mix of these commands for our data loads since we have a mix of data tables in seperate batch jobs. Thanks.

Maybe I'm missing something - but can't you just make a remote connection, perform "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM <remote table>" and compare that result with local UDB data counts?

Or

Compare your local Export / Import counts if you are selecting all the data from remote site and Replacing target table.

Maybe this helps - Good Luck
    Rick

script for compare row count

yep sounds good. just wondering if a script already exists after all would be nice to focus on dba stuff instead of having to recreate the wheel. any good place for db2 udb dba scripts? I would much rather focus on performance tuning and backup recovery stuff that needs to get done.

Re: script for compare row count

MArtin Hubel's www.db-hq.net

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dbtutools/

in addition, you can search for db2 on the sourceforge website ...

ftp://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/SG246012/shells.zip

sathyaram

yep sounds good. just wondering if a script already exists after all would be nice to focus on dba stuff instead of having to recreate the wheel. any good place for db2 udb dba scripts? I would much rather focus on performance tuning and backup recovery stuff that needs to get done.

thanx

once again sathyaram I appreciate your help. we have a huge dba environment where I currently am the only db2 dba so it helps a lot.

thanks
    scott
    db2 udb dba

One possible way would be to do a reorgchk (with current or update statistics) on both systems and compare the two output files.
    Anton Versteeg
    IBM Netherlands