Unanswered: Deleting child records

Hi All,

I am using a database in which foreign key relationship is not enforced at the database level but at the application level.

I am working on archiving an OLTP database, in which, after saving records older than, say, 1 year, into another database, these records should be deleted from the OLTP database.
    How can I delete child records based on a condition applied on one of the records of the parent table.

Say parent_table is :
    Col1 varchar2
    Col2 varchar2
    Col3 DATE

and child_table is:
    Col1 varchar2
    Col2 varchar2

I need to delete from child_table when the corresponding parent table record's DATE Col3 is more than 12 months old.
    How can I do that ?
    Any help will be highly appreciated.

Re: Deleting child records

Originally posted by Muskaan
    Hi All,

I am using a database in which foreign key relationship is not enforced at the database level but at the application level.

I am working on archiving an OLTP database, in which, after saving records older than, say, 1 year, into another database, these records should be deleted from the OLTP database.
    How can I delete child records based on a condition applied on one of the records of the parent table.

Say parent_table is :
    Col1 varchar2
    Col2 varchar2
    Col3 DATE

and child_table is:
    Col1 varchar2
    Col2 varchar2

I need to delete from child_table when the corresponding parent table record's DATE Col3 is more than 12 months old.
    How can I do that ?
    Any help will be highly appreciated.

The delete statement can look something like this:
    delete from
    child_table
    where
    (Col1, Col2) in
    (select Col1, Col2
    from
    parent_table
    where
    Col3 < sysdate-365 -- Or whatever date expression fits
    );

Then of course you can delete the parent rows.

I think there is a way of deleting from both tables simultaneously in Oracle 9i using just one delete statement.

Regards,

Todd@loganweb.com