Unanswered: COBOL and DB2 UDB for workstations

The problem we have is that we want to use the same COBOL code,locally for UDB v7(fix 9) and on mainframe for DB2 7.2(it works OK on mainframe) to fetch a result set from a target SQL procedure.
    ALLOCATE CURSOR
    ASSOCIATE LOCATOR
    SQL TYPE IS RESULT-SET-LOCATOR
    Is this not possible?
    /uffe

I know it is possible to perform remote UDB database calls through mainframe Cobol.... Is that what you are trying to do? If so, Cobol on mainframe must perform a remote bind on UDB.

We got it working once a few years ago, but killed the project - If you decide this is what you want I can try and get more information on the procedures.

Rick

Hej Rick.
    We are trying to use the same COBOL code, locally for database calls to UDB and on mainframe for database calls to DB2 to fetch a result set from a target SQL procedure.

I got an answer from IBM that "this is not possible, because DB2 UDB doesn't support this data type (Result-Set-Locators)". And that "there is no plan to change this behavior in a future release".
    /uffe

Originally posted by Rick-dba
    I know it is possible to perform remote UDB database calls through mainframe Cobol.... Is that what you are trying to do? If so, Cobol on mainframe must perform a remote bind on UDB.

We got it working once a few years ago, but killed the project - If you decide this is what you want I can try and get more information on the procedures.

Rick

That sounds right.... We are not calling an SQL procedure on UDB, the Cobol programs are bound on UDB to access the tables only. I didn't know SQL procedures were not supported - but I certainly will remember that!

Rick

Hej Rick.
    Stored Procedures are supported in DB2 UDB, the one i have problem with is using a cursor. Because DB2 UDB doesn't support data type Result-Set-Locators in COBOL.....
    Thanks from a Sunny SWEDEN.
    /uffe

That sounds right.... We are not calling an SQL procedure on UDB, the Cobol programs are bound on UDB to access the tables only. I didn't know SQL procedures were not supported - but I certainly will remember that!

Rick

Question Remote Bind to AIX UDB from MVS

I am trying to bind a MVS Cobol with DB2 to an AIX database and I got this when binding the package. I can select the table thru SPUFI using the id FRF1TAY. Also, I had successfully bound another vendor package which handles only dynamic SQL and is working. Any helps will be appreciate. Thanks in advance.

READY
    DSN SYSTEM(DB2A)
    DSN
    BIND PACKAGE ( PR0YPT01.FRPP900B) ACTION
    RELEASE ( COMMIT ) ISOLATION ( CS ) VALIDAT
    LIBRARY ( 'FRP1EKK.DBRMLIB' ) MEMBER ( FRPP
    ERROR ( NOPACKAGE ) CURRENTDATA ( NO )
    DSNT271I -DB2A THE FOLLOWING SQLCA INFORMATION WAS RETURNED FROM
    SQLRPRIV
    SQLCODE = -551
    SQLSTATE = 42501
    SQLERRMT = FRF1TAY SELECT IPSR0T00.PS_BUS_UNIT_TBL_GL
    SQLWARN 0= ,1= ,2= ,3= ,4= ,5= ,6= ,7= ,8= ,9= ,A=
    STATEMENT= 335
    DSNT270I -DB2A THE FOLLOWING SQLCA INFORMATION WAS RETURNED FROM
    SQLJSBND
    SQLCODE = -917
    SQLSTATE = 42969
    SQLERRMT =
    SQLWARN 0= ,1= ,2= ,3= ,4= ,5= ,6= ,7= ,8= ,9= ,A=
    DSNT233I -DB2A UNSUCCESSFUL BIND FOR
    PACKAGE = PR0YPT01.FRPP900B.FRPP900B.()
    DSN
    END
    READY
    END

Rick