Red face real estad DB design

Hello,
    Im glad ive found this forum.

Im from Colombia and my local programmer left me and a big proyect fell on top of me.

We are designing a real estate aplication in Mysql/php

There can be different types of real estate: appartments, houses, shops, fields, etc

All of them have some common data, like an unique code, an owner, description, yet, each has a lot of individual data, for example a shop needs to have the shopping mall its in, a field should include its size in hectares and its neighbours, an appartment should have the name of the building and say if it has parking, etc.

What im thinking is:

Make a table with the basic info for all items.

Make one table for each specific real estate type (shop, house, apartment, etc) with a code linking to the basic table.

What i guess is that i would have to make grid, add and update pages for each type of real estate.

Is there another or easier way to do this?

Regards,
    Felipe

Re: real estad DB design

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by FelipeJ
    Hello,

>Im from Colombia and my local programmer left me and a big proyect >fell on top of me.
    >We are designing a real estate aplication in Mysql/php
    >There can be different types of real estate: appartments, houses, >shops, fields, etc

Hi Felipe,

I have created a Kick-Start Data Model for you on this page of my Database Answers web site :-
    http://www.databaseanswers.com/data_...ties/index.htm

There's also a denormalized Data Model which might be more suitable for development :-
    http://www.databaseanswers.com/data_...zed_dezign.htm

Barry Williams
    Principal Consultant
    Database Answers

Re: real estad DB design

How nice of you!
    It's just what i needed, thankyou very much.

I will analyze both models but i guess the normalized model is more 'neat.

thanks again,
    Felipe Jaramillo

Originally posted by FelipeJ
    Hello,

Im from Colombia and my local programmer left me and a big proyect fell on top of me.

We are designing a real estate aplication in Mysql/php

There can be different types of real estate: appartments, houses, shops, fields, etc

All of them have some common data, like an unique code, an owner, description, yet, each has a lot of individual data, for example a shop needs to have the shopping mall its in, a field should include its size in hectares and its neighbours, an appartment should have the name of the building and say if it has parking, etc.

What im thinking is:

Make a table with the basic info for all items.

Make one table for each specific real estate type (shop, house, apartment, etc) with a code linking to the basic table.

What i guess is that i would have to make grid, add and update pages for each type of real estate.

Is there another or easier way to do this?

Regards,
    Felipe

Real Esate Database Design

Hello,
    I need to design a database for a Real Estate Company which actually sells properties in all kinds (Lands, Villas, Houses, Farms, Compounds, Fields, etc.)
    Usually the property can be a parent of another property. For example an apartment/flat is located in a compound/complex.

The apartment can be sold alone as well as the complex.

Each Property has a certain set of features. For example, No of Rooms. But this feature only applies to Apts/flats, villas, duplexes but not to a compound or to a field.

How can I store these features.

I know the above is confusing but I am really stuck and don’t know where go. I have started something but not sure if I am on the right track.

Any help or ideas are appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ER.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by barryw
    Hi Felipe,

I have created a Kick-Start Data Model for you on this page of my Database Answers web site :-
    http://www.databaseanswers.com/data_...ties/index.htm

There's also a denormalized Data Model which might be more suitable for development :-
    http://www.databaseanswers.com/data_...zed_dezign.htm

Barry Williams
    Principal Consultant
    Database Answers
    Can you post this model again?

Thank you

That post i over five years old... I wouldn't take any bets on barryw even having the ERD anymore, much less re-posting it for you!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    I wouldn't take any bets on barryw even having the ERD anymore
    i would

you might not be not familiar with his site, so you may be missing the fact that he changed his domain name a while ago

try the urls again, but simply change the top level domain from .com to .org

http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_...zed_dezign.htm
    http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_...ties/index.htm

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Quote Originally Posted by r937
    you might not be not familiar with his site, so you may be missing the fact that he changed his domain name a while ago
    That would be correct, I'm not familiar with his site.

Thanks for your insight!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.