Unanswered: get data > 4000 bytes into a flat file using pl/sql

Hi all,

I am working on an application to get data older than 18 months from Oracle 8i tables into flat files.

I am using simple sql queries along with spool to get all rows data into flat files,
    however, I am using PL/SQL for those tables whose total rowlength can be more than 4000 bytes (determined from the sum of all columns lengths). This is because in 8i, SQL*plus has a limitation of 4000 bytes.

I have attached an autogenerated file that is used to retrieve data from one of these tables into a flat file.

It works fine for smaller volumes of data, say, when I change the where clause from
    where months_between('13-MAY-2003 16:31:46',TO_DATE(DC_BSN,'YYYYMMDD')) > 18

TO
    where months_between('13-MAY-2003 16:31:46',TO_DATE(DC_BSN,'YYYYMMDD')) > 18 and rownum < 10

But when I try to do this for all rows, the query just hangs there...
    When this pl/sql script is invoked via a ksh script, an empty data file is generated.

Could you please look at it and tell me what could possibly be wrong ?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: get data > 4000 bytes into a flat file using pl/sql

Originally posted by Muskaan
    Hi all,

I am working on an application to get data older than 18 months from Oracle 8i tables into flat files.

I am using simple sql queries along with spool to get all rows data into flat files,
    however, I am using PL/SQL for those tables whose total rowlength can be more than 4000 bytes (determined from the sum of all columns lengths). This is because in 8i, SQL*plus has a limitation of 4000 bytes.

I have attached an autogenerated file that is used to retrieve data from one of these tables into a flat file.

It works fine for smaller volumes of data, say, when I change the where clause from
    where months_between('13-MAY-2003 16:31:46',TO_DATE(DC_BSN,'YYYYMMDD')) > 18

TO
    where months_between('13-MAY-2003 16:31:46',TO_DATE(DC_BSN,'YYYYMMDD')) > 18 and rownum < 10

But when I try to do this for all rows, the query just hangs there...
    When this pl/sql script is invoked via a ksh script, an empty data file is generated.

Could you please look at it and tell me what could possibly be wrong ?

Thanks in advance!

You can try to use dbms.utl_file utility to write your file

make sur to open a directory in init.ora and make the directory accessible by oracle os user