Unanswered: to force or not to force...that IS the ?

I recently got burned because I made a db cfg change and THOUGHT that it would take effect when all of the applications were forced off and that was NOT the case. It took effect immediately and caused a huge problem. After much research, we found out that some parameters take effect immediately. Here's the output that you get when you update a db cfg:

DB20000I The UPDATE DATABASE CONFIGURATION command completed successfully.
    DB21026I For most configuration parameters, all applications must disconnect from this database before the changes become effective.

Guess I missed the word "most" before or didn't take it seriously. At any rate, "mincommit" is one parameter that I know about that takes effect immediately. Does anyone know of any others?
    Laura Smith, DBA

I think you can add DEFERRED to the update request.... Never tried it myself.
    DB2 Information Center - Command Syntax:

UPDATE--+-DATABASE-+--+-CONFIGURATION-+---------------------->
    '-DB-------' +-CONFIG--------+
    '-CFG-----------'
    .----------------------.
    V |
    >--+---------------------+--USING----config-keyword value-+----->
    '-FOR--database-alias-'

.-IMMEDIATE-.
    >--+-----------+-----------------------------------------------><
    '-DEFERRED--'

DEFERRED
    Make the changes only in the configuration file, so that the changes take effect the next time you reactivate the database.

F.Y.I. If your database does not remain active, it will reactivate (on-the-fly) when all threads are terminated and then a new thread connects.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Rick

That would be a good idea, however, we never deactivate instance and we are still stuck on v7. However, thanks for your help and the nice preview of a new feature of v8!!!!!
    Laura
    Laura Smith, DBA

Re: to force or not to force...that IS the ?

The Administration Guide : Performance, Chapter 13 (Configuring db2) lists all parameters and how they become effective. It clearly states that mincommit becomes effective immediately. Might be a good thing to read before you change a parameter.

I read several pieces on that parameter, thank you very much. Just not that one. Besides, it was IBM that gave us the recommendation to set that parameter to 5 on our WCS database. We have it set across the board on all databases, but one, and that's the one that it bit us on.
    Laura Smith, DBA

Re: to force or not to force...that IS the ?

Laura, It will be useful if you brief us on the nature of problem you faced ...

Thanks

Sathyaram

Originally posted by llsmith
    I recently got burned because I made a db cfg change and THOUGHT that it would take effect when all of the applications were forced off and that was NOT the case. It took effect immediately and caused a huge problem. After much research, we found out that some parameters take effect immediately. Here's the output that you get when you update a db cfg:

DB20000I The UPDATE DATABASE CONFIGURATION command completed successfully.
    DB21026I For most configuration parameters, all applications must disconnect from this database before the changes become effective.

Guess I missed the word "most" before or didn't take it seriously. At any rate, "mincommit" is one parameter that I know about that takes effect immediately. Does anyone know of any others?