Unanswered: reorg tables and db2look tools

Hello DB2 gurus

What is a good method to perform data maintenance and free up tablespace and containers on a daily basis using reorg to perform reorgs and recreate new tables using db2look?

Re: reorg tables and db2look tools

Hi,

at out site (DB2 UDB 7.2 EEE/AIX) we do a global reorg once a week and runstats on a nightly basis.

I don't know a server based tool that could do this kind of maintenance for you - if somebody knows better please come foreward.

So we have croned these tasks with perl/dbi.

We use db2look immediately before taking a backup to be able to track design changes later on. I have no idea what you mean with recreating new tables. Please specify.

Johann

Originally posted by mixxalot
    Hello DB2 gurus

What is a good method to perform data maintenance and free up tablespace and containers on a daily basis using reorg to perform reorgs and recreate new tables using db2look?

thanks reorgs take a long time!

Well after speaking with the former DBA (he left zero details) I gathered more info about our db2 environment. Basically the tables all need major reorgs to free up wasted space in our environment. I started the reorgs this week and they take at least an hour since it hasnt been done in a long long time. I then ran some statistics after each reorg (runstats) and will use db2look for re-creation of tables that may fail during production loads. Basically when a deadlock occurs, we have to reorg the table, run db2look to recreate the ddl, drop the table that failed and re-create the table using the ddl gathered by db2look. So I am ramping up as the new dba. Its chaotic but then again thats why we dbas get paid the big bucks.

scott