Angry Unanswered: sql server does not exist or access is denied

I work remotely from home.

Here is my scenario:
    I connect to an ip address on the internet to perform day to day database operations. Until yesterday, this worked fine. Suddenly, without any event to make me suspicious, I can not connect (via enterprise manager or query analyzer) to these machines. I can, however, do anything else I normally would with these machines. This includes VPN connections and terminal service connections. The addresses are pingable and usuable by other users at other locations.

I can connect to my local SQL server as well as the remote development server, PROVIDED that I run VPN and connect to the development servers VPN assigned (not internet) address. I also connected to these servers yesterday from another location's LAN without incidence.

I have been fighting this problem for hours now and the direction I have been heading is network related:
    1. Perhaps my VPN connection told the Sql server's that I come from a different (VPN related) address, that it now incorrectly expects me from?
    2. Firewall problem, although as I mentioned above, I never had any problems before.

I run Win XP Pro (up to date on service packs) and sql server 2000 locally (sp3). The development (remote) box is a win 2000 (up to date) box also running sql server 2000 (sp3).

I am frustrated, as this has hindered my work. If anybody has any clues please let me know! I have already tried reinstalling mdac 2.7 (xp sp1) (which basically said 'I'm finished' as soon as i hit install, probably since it was already up to date), and sql server 2000 sp3, to no avail. Thanks in advance for any help!

Is it possible that SQL Server will lock out requests from specific IP addresses, or perhaps have an IP binded to a client? If so, why would it do it and how could I fix it?

Originally posted by nichols_eric
    Is it possible that SQL Server will lock out requests from specific IP addresses, or perhaps have an IP binded to a client? If so, why would it do it and how could I fix it?
    hi,
    I had a similar kind of problem on my server,sql server denies access to it if there is some heavy activity going on the server,if the cpu utilisation is 100% this is what I found out , in my case there were a couple of jobs which were utilising the cpu usage and the access was denied on the server.
    I suggest u monitor the activity on the server check the logs and
    verify the login u are using exists on the database server and has the appropriate rights.
    regards,
    Harshal.

Thanks for the reply. Everything works fine when I am not on my home network.

I can only imagine being either network related (I plugged it directly to the cable modem without a firewall on, and still it didn't work from my house only) or SQL Server related. I am going to call cox as a longshot. They have had some network issues lately.

Thanks for the reply. Everything works fine when I am not on my home network.

I can only imagine being either network related (I plugged it directly to the cable modem without a firewall on, and still it didn't work from my house only) or SQL Server related. I am going to call cox as a longshot. They have had some network issues lately.

issue solved

Apparently cox is filtering against incoming traffic from port 1433. I was able to change the port and everything is now functional. Why it worked and then stopped "magically" way after the slammer attacks is still unknown to me. Thank you everybody for your time.

Re: issue solved

Originally posted by nichols_eric
    Apparently cox is filtering against incoming traffic from port 1433. I was able to change the port and everything is now functional. Why it worked and then stopped "magically" way after the slammer attacks is still unknown to me. Thank you everybody for your time.
    did u have sp3? what is u'r config?

Yeah I had sp3 on both boxes for months. It just ended up being someting on the cable company's end. I use XP Pro on my laptop and the server is Win 2000 Server, both are fully patched.