Unanswered: MSDE - Plug and Pray!!!!!!!!

Hi

I have posted the same with MS Access thread, and seeking MS SQL experts help
    plsssssssssssssss

Anyone face similar problem attached in tht Zip file reagrding the subform bug in MSDE

pls help

Or some who is in same boat, pls reply to this post and we can go to Microsoft Titanic Ship, (yes it is!!!) and beg for their kind reply

Hope Microsoft will not have the fortuen of Titanic

JPainuathara
    Attached Files Attached Files

are you talking about ADP?

what subform bug are you talking about?

are you talking about ADP?

basically, do all of the sorting on the server, and this gets rid of it right?

and stop talking trash about Microsoft.
    Access 2002 ADP Rocks my World

Long live SQL Server and 64bit Windows!!!

Re: are you talking about ADP?

Hi buddy

Yes, I am talking about ADP. The code and forms that worked finr with MS Access MDB file doesn't work with MS Access ADP in my example.

Sorry to curse Microsoft. I am desperately in need to solve this problem. You know how much painful to redo every form when it is upsized to MSDE. I could rather start a a new project instead of upsizing it.

By the way , u could reproduce the same error with my example. Pls be precise with your answer

yeah ADP is tough

yeah ADP is tough.. but i love it.

i wouldnt be a SQL Server developer right now if it wasnt for ADP.

i dont see what you mean 'i could recreate it'-- where is this zip file that you speak ok?

id love to help..

what country are you from?

aaron

Re: yeah ADP is tough

Hi Aaron

I am a New Zealainf resident. Hey u could see the zip file as attachement for the first posting of this thread.
    thanks for your psotitive reply.

Hope u could find a solution for my problem

Jos

Originally posted by aaron_kempf
    yeah ADP is tough.. but i love it.

i wouldnt be a SQL Server developer right now if it wasnt for ADP.

i dont see what you mean 'i could recreate it'-- where is this zip file that you speak ok?

id love to help..

what country are you from?

aaron

I this case the code in ADP should be the same as in .MDB. What is not working? Please be more specific!

Best regards,
    Botond

interim solution

have you tested the performance of a MDB with linked tables?

how many users do you have/what kindof server hardware do you have for SQL Server?

I would reccommend planning on spending something like 3 months on your first major MDB->ADP conversion.

But after that, you get a lot faster.. You just have to recognize the differences between SQL Server syntax and Access SQL.

I would reccommend doing your best to duplicate the exact names of each object-- you may still have to go through and adjust the names, but this will make things a little more manageable.

I have personally walked into a client where they had several Access Reporting databases, and I was able to convert something like 400 out of the 600 queries within the first day.

just go through on the access side, and remove all of the references to form objects, and then you log the SQL Statements to a table.

after that, you run a bunch of update statements in order to 'Fix' the Access SQL syntax into SQL Server syntax.

i just dont happen to have this code with me right now..

but i will try to remember to post it over the weekend..

g2g hope ive helped a little..

it is worth it tho.

cut down the time to maybe 2 weeks

if i post this script over the weekend, you should be able to do your first major MDB->ADP conversion in maybe 2 or 3 weeks.

it just really depends on
    a). how many crosstab queries you used
    b). how large the dataset is
    c). how many normal queries you have
    d). how many different forms and reports you have

i PROMISE that the most important thing to remember is that you need to keep the EXACT same naming conventions between MDB and ADP--

I do fix things like spaces in object names, etc-- that is really going to make things easier in the long run..

aaron

Re: cut down the time to maybe 2 weeks

Aaron

Sorry , i was out of station last weekend.

I repeat to u the same question, Did u convert the Access MDB file which i have attached with the first posting of this thread. Pls download it and upsize it into ADP. I know you r an ADP expert and , but just follow my steps described in the Readme.txt (inside the zip file) to reproduce the same error.

Error popups when we try to insert a new record using the addnew button created and coded by me

Catch u with soon with your positive specific answer

thanks Aaron for your continuing support

JOs

Originally posted by aaron_kempf
    if i post this script over the weekend, you should be able to do your first major MDB->ADP conversion in maybe 2 or 3 weeks.

it just really depends on
    a). how many crosstab queries you used
    b). how large the dataset is
    c). how many normal queries you have
    d). how many different forms and reports you have

i PROMISE that the most important thing to remember is that you need to keep the EXACT same naming conventions between MDB and ADP--

I do fix things like spaces in object names, etc-- that is really going to make things easier in the long run..

aaron