Database for a small Bookshop

Hi, I have this for my assignment due in 2 weeks.

Apart from the text and a book on MS Access, I have no real idea on how to set up a database for this bookshop.

It's a second bookshop with no electronic database implemented yet. The idea is to create a database to handle it's inventory of books, keep track of it's day to day business transactions and anything else that I don't know the bookshop may need.

It's not easy for me because I don't know what the assignment require but presentation isn't going to be all out as in a full database. It is part of a proposal and so I just need some screenshots and explanation on the parts in the diagram.

Can Anyone give me an idea on how to start or provide some details?

Thank you

Re: Database for a small Bookshop

Originally posted by JackChen
    Hi, I have this for my assignment due in 2 weeks.

Apart from the text and a book on MS Access, I have no real idea on how to set up a database for this bookshop.

It's a second bookshop with no electronic database implemented yet. The idea is to create a database to handle it's inventory of books, keep track of it's day to day business transactions and anything else that I don't know the bookshop may need.

It's not easy for me because I don't know what the assignment require but presentation isn't going to be all out as in a full database. It is part of a proposal and so I just need some screenshots and explanation on the parts in the diagram.

Can Anyone give me an idea on how to start or provide some details?

Thank you
    If you don't know what the assignment requires, how are we going to know? Why don't you ask your teacher what is expected? Presumably this is going to be along the lines of stuff you've already covered in class anyway.

You'd start by putting together a list of the main entities in your database - e.g. books, sales - and how they relate to each other. You'd also want to come up with a list of the main functions of the store - sell book, order book, etc.

Re: Database for a small Bookshop

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by JackChen
    >Apart from the text and a book on MS Access, I have no real idea on >how to set up a database for this bookshop.

>Can Anyone give me an idea on how to start or provide some details?
    You could start with this Data Model for a Bookstore on my Database Answers web site :-
    http://www.databaseanswers.com/data_...tore/index.htm

Barry Williams
    Principal Consultant
    Database Answers