Universe.MilkyWay.SolarSystem.Earth.NorthAmerica.Canada.Quebec.Chicoutimi;

Question Unanswered: converting an export file from 9i to 8i

Is there a way to convert an export file from oracle 9i to 8i, because I have a 9i .dmp file and when I try to use the imp utility I got that error :

IMP-00010 not a valid export file, header failed verification

(my database is 8.1.7)

Thanks for help !

do the exp from 9i using the Oracle 8i exp utility ...

humm it may be complicated to do so, because the dump file was create by someone else and sent to me on CD by regular mail...

I need to know if there is an utility built by oracle or a third party that can translate (convert) an entire .dmp file from oracle 8i to 9i...

Thanks for help,

I don't know of anything to do this, it doesn't mean to say nothing is available though.

Could you send your exp.exe version to the sender of your dump? I believe that if you use a version 8 export executable (even on a version 9 database) it should then be importable into 8.

If that isn't an option, then you may have to install a 9i database, import the dump yourself using 9 and then use your version 8 export executable to do the export.

HTH
    Bill

Originally posted by billm
    I don't know of anything to do this, it doesn't mean to say nothing is available though.

Could you send your exp.exe version to the sender of your dump? I believe that if you use a version 8 export executable (even on a version 9 database) it should then be importable into 8.

If that isn't an option, then you may have to install a 9i database, import the dump yourself using 9 and then use your version 8 export executable to do the export.

HTH
    Bill
    Thx Bill, I think I will try your second option :P

Thumbs up

The rule on thumb is always export with the lower version of exp if you want to import into the same version. So you need to create db link from 8i to 9i database, then export the 9i db with the 8i exp utility by using this link.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
    OCP - DBA
    Visit our Web Site