Thread: Suggestions?

Post Unanswered: Suggestions?

Hi folks,

I'm a programmer, primarily using ASP.NET. I am about to design an Intranet (something I have a lot of experience in), but am starting to rethink the way I use SQL for storing data.

For example, typically I am used to creating different spindles in SQL for different applications on the web. So, the main logon tables existing in a separate spindles from say, the message board.

For management, it's obviously easier to put every table for every program in one spindle, and just have all the tables in the same spindle. This has some useful advantages, but are there any disadvantages?

For example, how many tables can I safely put into a single spindle, and what would the implications of this be?

I guess what I'm after is opinions on whether or not it's ok - technically and programatically - to have an entire Intranet site, with all applications, running off of the one spindle?

Any ideas, suggetions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers folks!

-Rich.

Could you please explain what SPINDLE means?
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

If by spindle, you mean 'a physical hard disk volume'. Then the answer depends entirely on the volume of data and relative amount of database activity.

If by spindle, you mean 'a database', then it should make no practical difference except to assist in maintenance, as all the tables and such can be backed up in a single operation and other administrative tasks (such as defining database users) become simpler as well if all the data resides in a single database.

True having all in one database makes the DBA life easier to run maint.tasks and keep the database performance live.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]