Red face Unanswered: DB2 UDB v8.2 on Linux/Windows - Task Center communication

I want to use the db2 udb v8 on Windows "Task Center" to manage db2 udb v8 on Linux.

I have created the TOOLSDB on Linux and several scripts from the Linux task center, but I can't access them on the windows version?

Is anyone doing this successfully - I'd love to chat with you about it!
    Rick

Re: DB2 UDB v8.2 on Linux/Windows - Task Center communication

What's the error you are getting ?

Have you cataloged the admin node on your windows?

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by Rick-dba
    I want to use the db2 udb v8 on Windows "Task Center" to manage db2 udb v8 on Linux.

I have created the TOOLSDB on Linux and several scripts from the Linux task center, but I can't access them on the windows version?

Is anyone doing this successfully - I'd love to chat with you about it!
    Rick

The error is strange... I have not cataloged the admin node to windows - but I will try it if you think it would work - no doc says I need that...

I cataloged the NODE (not admin) and TOOLSDB database and can connect fine. Windows Control Center is able to create indexes, etc... on Linux.

I know I'm doing something wrong with cataloging things, because every time I try to run Task Center against Linux, it does not use the TOOLSDB I defined, but instead creates it's own (which does not work).

I don't know where it is getting the data from to create it's own definition or I would try changing it to proper values.....

Thanks for any help you can offer - I've read the books but I just don't get it...

Rick

Sorry - the error is:

DBA1177N A database connection to the Tools Catalog Database
    "TOOLSDB" cannot be made. SQLCODE "08001"
    ICM00001N An SQL error occurred while connecting to the
    database. Database = "TOOLS1", Catalog = "SYSTOOLS".
    [IBM][CLI Driver] SQL30081N A communication error has been
    detected. Communication protocol being used: "TCP/IP".
    Communication API being used: "SOCKETS". Location where the
    error was detected: "". Communication function detecting the
    error: "gethostbyname". Protocol specific error code(s): "*",
    "10110", "*". SQLSTATE=08001

Whatever you have cataloged, looks like the hostname provided cannot be resolved

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by Rick-dba
    Sorry - the error is:

DBA1177N A database connection to the Tools Catalog Database
    "TOOLSDB" cannot be made. SQLCODE "08001"
    ICM00001N An SQL error occurred while connecting to the
    database. Database = "TOOLS1", Catalog = "SYSTOOLS".
    [IBM][CLI Driver] SQL30081N A communication error has been
    detected. Communication protocol being used: "TCP/IP".
    Communication API being used: "SOCKETS". Location where the
    error was detected: "". Communication function detecting the
    error: "gethostbyname". Protocol specific error code(s): "*",
    "10110", "*". SQLSTATE=08001

That is just it - instead of using the existing cataloged DB I provide, it creates it's own.... (?)

I look in "Configuration Assistant" and test My TOOLSDB connection - it works fine and is the only TOOLSDB connection available - it can be used via command center and everything....

Then I pull up Task Center and try to connect and it takes some time, then returns the error previously stated.

I go back to CCA, and a new non-functional "TOOLS0" has been automatically created! If I leave it there and try to connect again, it creates "TOOLS1"( also non-functional)....

What can I do to tell it to use the existing TOOLSDB connectivity definition?

Thanks a million times for your help!

It looks like a configuration problem...

Hello, I had the same problem. Here's how I solved it:

1. First, delete all node definitions for the Linux machine in Windows, either through the CA or manually using UNCATALOG NODE etc...

2. Open the CA. Select Configure, then Configure Other Instance (hopefully is the phrasing, because my DB2 is in Spanish. Anyway, choose option line 5 in the pull down menu)

3. IN the Select System window, select your Linux machine (it should appear theer, otherwise configure it in Systems)

4. The instances present in the system will appear in the lower window. Select the one you want to configure, then enter its username and password in the fields below.

5. The next screen will show the list of databases belonging to the instance. Make sure you have your tools DB listed there.

6. Close the screen. You're done.