Question Unanswered: Installing DB2 on redhat 9

I have a couple of problems when I try to run ./ doesnt works..

anyone can guide me...?

Im a newbie on this...

DB2 is not supported on Red Hat 9 due to some Java changes (I believe) that are included in most Linux version 9 releases. In this case, “not supported” means that it does not work, rather than "IBM has just not gotten around to testing it yet." I wish I knew that before I spent $40 on the boxed version of RH9 and spent many hours thinking I was doing something wrong.

That being said, there is a way to make it work on RH9, but doing these things disables Linux multi-processor support for one thing. If you have an IBM support contract for DB2 I would switch to RH8 because they will not help you on RH9, even if a problem is not related to the RH version problem. Obviously if you have a multi-processor machine, you definitely should get RH8.

First execute the following commands:

You may need to download IBMjava 1.31 or 1.4 before you run the GUI setup program. You can get the Runtime (JRE) version or the SDK version at the IBM website. The DB2 install process will install IBM Java 1.31 runtime, but you may need it before-hand it to run db2setup (I tried a lot of different things so not sure of those things I didn’t need to do).

If you do install Java first, then execute the following (modify if you use 1.31 or if you install the SDK instead of JRE):

export PATH

You probably know this, but right before you execute db2setup or any DB2 GUI app after install, you must execute the following commands:

xhost + [host_name]
    export DISPLAY=[host_name]:0

Then run ./db2setup from root. You can create the Sample Database during the install. Do not install the ToolsDB because it will not work on the initial install. You can go back later and install it if you want it.

After you have run db2setup and created an instance, create (or modify) a file called /home/[INSTANCEOWNER]/sqllib/userprofile so that it will get executed every time you log on as the instance owner.

db2 update dbm cfg using JDK_PATH /opt/IBMJava2-14

(Note that I installed IBMJava2-14, so you should use IBMJava2-131 if that is the only IBM Java you have installed.)

After the first instance is created and you have updated (or created) userprofile, exit root and log on to Linux as the instance owner to run other DB2 GUI apps such as db2cc (control center). You can also run db2fs (first steps).

After a day or so, I successfully installed FP2 (using root), but look at the readme file carefully for post installation steps that are a bit different than most Windows Fixpaks I have installed.

I hope I remembered everything correctly, if not someone can correct me.
    Last edited by Marcus_A; 05-20-03 at 02:13.

I have installed the DB2 v8 on Suse Linux for IBM mainframe S/390 from Windows environment. The only big change I remember from v.7 is that for v.8 is reguired X-Windows capable telnet program. In version 7 I could install db2 from normal textual telnet program.

No other big problems as I remember.

Wink ...ok

Ok thx for suggestions I'll do that .....if works or I post that here