Unanswered: disk space planning help needed for DB2 UDB tablespaces

Hello folks,

Since almost all of our current containers occupy existing raw logical disk volumes on our dev, qa and production database server for DB2 UDB I need to come up with a solid database disk storage volume layout configuration that accomodate future and present OLTP processing needs. Basically we have huge tablespaces that each require raw container disk storage and on average they grow at a rate between 10-20% on a monthly basis.

Example:

Tablespace Container(s) Disk Volume Size
    TSPAPP1 /dev/rdv01 /dev/rdv01 100Mb
    /dev/rdv01a /dev/rdv02 100Mb

TSPAPP2 /dev/rqa01 /dev/rqa01 200Mb
    /dev/rqa01 /dev/rqa02 300Mb

Your feedback and comments appreciated as always
    I am working with the unix admin to better plan this so that he can create the disk volumes in a pro active manner. Have any of you ever encountered the dread 'cannot read/write to device path?" error?

Scott
    UDB DB2 DBA

Re: disk space planning help needed for DB2 UDB tablespaces

Hi Scott,

may be your UNIX admin can simply enlarge the raw devices. Then, if need be, you can alter your tablespaces and extend containers (see ALTER TABLESPACE command).

Johann

Originally posted by mixxalot
    Hello folks,

Since almost all of our current containers occupy existing raw logical disk volumes on our dev, qa and production database server for DB2 UDB I need to come up with a solid database disk storage volume layout configuration that accomodate future and present OLTP processing needs. Basically we have huge tablespaces that each require raw container disk storage and on average they grow at a rate between 10-20% on a monthly basis.

Example:

Tablespace Container(s) Disk Volume Size
    TSPAPP1 /dev/rdv01 /dev/rdv01 100Mb
    /dev/rdv01a /dev/rdv02 100Mb

TSPAPP2 /dev/rqa01 /dev/rqa01 200Mb
    /dev/rqa01 /dev/rqa02 300Mb

Your feedback and comments appreciated as always
    I am working with the unix admin to better plan this so that he can create the disk volumes in a pro active manner. Have any of you ever encountered the dread 'cannot read/write to device path?" error?

Scott
    UDB DB2 DBA