Unanswered: Config parms that affect bufferpool usage

What configuration parameters should be re-evaluated when increasing the size of a bufferpool?

For example, avg_appls tells the optimizer what percentage of the bufferpool will be available at execution. This can affect the access plan that the optimizer chooses. In one case we observed that the optimizer decided to do tablescans rather than using indexes because it thougt it would have a whole bufferpool to use. avg_appls was set to 1 on that database.

I'm trying to avoid degrading performance by significantly increasing the size of a bufferpool in order to improve performance.

Thanks for your help!!
    Plumb

Re: Config parms that affect bufferpool usage

Hi,

afaik there is no related configuration parameter. Try to estimate total memory consumption and check for swap activity. I believe there is nothing else to consider.

Johann

Originally posted by Plumb
    What configuration parameters should be re-evaluated when increasing the size of a bufferpool?

For example, avg_appls tells the optimizer what percentage of the bufferpool will be available at execution. This can affect the access plan that the optimizer chooses. In one case we observed that the optimizer decided to do tablescans rather than using indexes because it thougt it would have a whole bufferpool to use. avg_appls was set to 1 on that database.

I'm trying to avoid degrading performance by significantly increasing the size of a bufferpool in order to improve performance.

Thanks for your help!!
    Plumb

You may want ot check out the following things

num_iocleaners
    num_ioservers

the prefetchsize of the tablespaces which are assigned to the bufferpool.