Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9

    Unanswered: DB2 UDB v8 and Websphere v3.5.5 compatibility

    Hi all
    i have this problem: until now, in my AIX v4.3.3 environment, i use WAS v3.5.5 in conjuction to a DB2 UDB v7.1.1 (for only WAS repository usage). Now, i must change server, to a new AIX v4.3.3 in which there is a DB2 UDB v8, but i must continue to use WAS v3.5.5.
    For you, is there a full compatibility, or there are some problems?

    Thanks in advance for your answers.

    Marco

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,650

    Re: DB2 UDB v8 and Websphere v3.5.5 compatibility

    I would ask IBM whether they support V8 for this version of WAS ...

    or

    Create a V7 instance and use this for the repository on the new machine

    Cheers

    Sathyaram

    Originally posted by marcog1956
    Hi all
    i have this problem: until now, in my AIX v4.3.3 environment, i use WAS v3.5.5 in conjuction to a DB2 UDB v7.1.1 (for only WAS repository usage). Now, i must change server, to a new AIX v4.3.3 in which there is a DB2 UDB v8, but i must continue to use WAS v3.5.5.
    For you, is there a full compatibility, or there are some problems?

    Thanks in advance for your answers.

    Marco

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    76

    Re: DB2 UDB v8 and Websphere v3.5.5 compatibility

    I posted this same question earlier this week and then also talked to IBM support. What I got from them is there is definitely not support for version 8 as the repository database and pretty much on your own trying to get the 2 to work together.

    The problem with keeping the repository in 7.2 and the app db in version 8 is the JDBC driver. I could find no way to have WebSphere use 2 DB2 drivers, i.e. use the 7.2 IBM JDBC driver for the repository and the 8.1 driver for my applications. Since they have identical class names, it seems there should be a way through classpath variables etc, to point to 2 locations , but can not find any and IBM could not either.

    For the heck of it, I tried using my apps on the version 8 database with the version 7 driver, but had fairly significant problems, another one that I posted on here last week was the truncation of field names to 29 characters or less in the Result set object.

    As a result, we are putting our 8 upgrade on hold and moving up our effort to get WebSphere upgraded, going from 3.5 straight to 5.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •