Unanswered: help to begin with mySQL

Hi everone,

I am planning to use Delphi to connect to mySQL (as advised to me) but I never used mySQL so far and just wnted to knwo how is it looks like?

1. Does it comes with DBMS or GUI to maintain the database in a windows interface just like MS Access and MS SQL?

2. What do I need to install on both server and client if I am planning to develop an application which should be accessibale over a local network (LAN) and from where will I get the stuff?

3. Can I install everything (Server and Client) on myh laptop for development purpose?

4. How the client is going to talk to the database on the server, ODBC? any other way? what is the recommended way?

5. If I plan to develop a stand-alone distributed software in future which can be installed and runned on a PC, can I redistribute mySQL and use the InstallShield to install it?

i know it was too many questions guys but hope you will explain it to me well so that I can start....

Many Thanks,
    Jassim Rahma

Re: help to begin with mySQL

Originally posted by jrahma
    Hi everone,

I am planning to use Delphi to connect to mySQL (as advised to me) but I never used mySQL so far and just wnted to knwo how is it looks like?

1. Does it comes with DBMS or GUI to maintain the database in a windows interface just like MS Access and MS SQL? EMS mymanager is one of the best GUI utilities to maintain mysql server. However it costs money while mysql-front is free. you can search and find those products from www.mysql.com

2. What do I need to install on both server and client if I am planning to develop an application which should be accessibale over a local network (LAN) and from where will I get the stuff? mysql server and mysql odbc client. both at mysql.com

3. Can I install everything (Server and Client) on myh laptop for development purpose? sure thing

4. How the client is going to talk to the database on the server, ODBC? any other way? what is the recommended way? odbc is the easiest way i personally think

5. If I plan to develop a stand-alone distributed software in future which can be installed and runned on a PC, can I redistribute mySQL and use the InstallShield to install it? check the GPL licence if you can re-distribute mysql. no idea on InstallShield packaging but dont think its impossible.

i know it was too many questions guys but hope you will explain it to me well so that I can start.... lets start now.

Many Thanks,
    Jassim Rahma
    qha_vn

Thanks a lor

Hi,

Thank you very much for your answers... it helped me a lot...

it's me again!!!

Hi again,

I hope this will be the last question..

I wanted to know which database is best to use when developing a stand-alone PCs, just like organizer and phone book applications to be distributed, but I need it be safe and secure not like dbf (no protection) or mdb (eay to retreive password).

Many Thanks,
    Jassim Rahma

i think every lock has key

even ms outlook looks very secured but its password-protected data file (.pst) is not that difficult to be unlocked. outlook express is far more easier

so, dont find such a db as long as people can still physically touch your computer
    qha_vn

Re: help to begin with mySQL

Hi everone,

1. Does it comes with DBMS or GUI to maintain the database in a windows interface just like MS Access and MS SQL?

2. What do I need to install on both server and client if I am planning to develop an application which should be accessibale over a local network (LAN) and from where will I get the stuff?

3. Can I install everything (Server and Client) on myh laptop for development purpose?

4. How the client is going to talk to the database on the server, ODBC? any other way? what is the recommended way?

5. If I plan to develop a stand-alone distributed software in future which can be installed and runned on a PC, can I redistribute mySQL and use the InstallShield to install it?

i know it was too many questions guys but hope you will explain it to me well so that I can start....

Many Thanks,
    Jassim Rahma
    1. No, MySQL doesn't come with a GUI app for database maintenace, but there are lots of programs that will do this for you. There's even one on the MySQL.com site, it's called MySQL control center. Haven't used it...

2. Install MySQL on your server. That takes care of the server part. What you install on the client side depends on the way you want to connect to you're MySQL DB.

3. Yes

4. There are multiple way's to do this. You can use ADO, ODBC, JDBC or a direct connection. There are a lot of components for Delphi and MySQL. If you want to use ODBC of JDBC you can download the needed drivers from MySQL.com. I'm not sure about ADO. Look on www.torry.ru for the direct connect components. They mostly only require the libmySQL.dll (comes with MYSQL install) to be on the client.
    Which one to use? Depends on what you want. Direct acces is the quickest method I guess. If you use ADO you can use all the ADO components in Delphi. ADO is slow though...

5. MySQL doesn't seem the best solution to me for standalone apps. What good is a databasesever on a system which has both client and server installed on it. But it's possible ofcourse. I have no idea whether you can easily distribute MySQL with installshield.

Hope this helps.

Niels

Re: it's me again!!!

Hi again,

I hope this will be the last question..

I wanted to know which database is best to use when developing a stand-alone PCs, just like organizer and phone book applications to be distributed, but I need it be safe and secure not like dbf (no protection) or mdb (eay to retreive password).

Many Thanks,
    Jassim Rahma
    concerning you're last question. What kind of secret info are you sending to your clients? The client bought you're product, so he's entitled to the data in it...

If you don't want him to use the data in other programs (for instance, self written ones) a simple security (password, rights) will do. How much time do you this a user has to start cracking passwords...

If you want it though...just write a simple routine that scrambles part of for instance your Access database. Before opening the DB your app descrambles it. Scrambling the first 1000 bytes of you're DB will render it unusable for almost everyone.

Niels