Unanswered: does db2 supports db authentication?

hi,
    It seems like Db2 is supporting only OS authentication and not Db authentication. when I am trying to connect to db2 using "db2 "connect to xxx user user1 using psswd" , where if user1 is not OS user name then it is not connecting. can I create user in db2(db authentication), if not then what is the use of "grant ..." commands?

thanks in advnc
    -ravi

Re: does db2 supports db authentication?

There is no database authenticated user in DB2 UDB. The user must exist on the OS level. After creating the user you will grant him/her the privileges as you deemed necessary.

dollar

Originally posted by vishwapathi
    hi,
    It seems like Db2 is supporting only OS authentication and not Db authentication. when I am trying to connect to db2 using "db2 "connect to xxx user user1 using psswd" , where if user1 is not OS user name then it is not connecting. can I create user in db2(db authentication), if not then what is the use of "grant ..." commands?

thanks in advnc
    -ravi

Do you mean after creating OS user?
    can I grant SYSADM privileges to any OS user so that the user can create new databases?

-ravi.

SYSADM should be given to a group ....

By default, on Windows, this is granted to Administrator group and on Unix to the group of the instance owner ....

If you want one user to be SYSADM, create a group and add that user to it(on Unix, remember to add the instance owner also) and do

db2 update dbm cfg usign SYSADM_GROUP <group-name>

You will have to db2stop and db2start ...

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by vishwapathi
    Do you mean after creating OS user?
    can I grant SYSADM privileges to any OS user so that the user can create new databases?

-ravi.

Thanks for the info.

-ravi.

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    SYSADM should be given to a group ....

By default, on Windows, this is granted to Administrator group and on Unix to the group of the instance owner ....

If you want one user to be SYSADM, create a group and add that user to it(on Unix, remember to add the instance owner also) and do

db2 update dbm cfg usign SYSADM_GROUP <group-name>

You will have to db2stop and db2start ...

Cheers

Sathyaram