Question Unanswered: Maximum size of mdb

Hello

I work in firm which has 40 small offices and size of their datebase at the end of week is about 2 Mb and when they send us their information (which is every day after closing) at the end of week in central office datebase go to size of 60-70 Mb.

Every week we use new datebase.

The datebase is made in access 97.

Is it to big for datebase in access?

Thanks
    Last edited by drill; 05-22-03 at 10:46.

No that's not too big. I have a couple of access databases that are 150Mb -175Mb. The maximum is dependent on your available disk space.

HTH
    texasalynn

But isn't there a limit to....

Originally posted by texasalynn
    No that's not too big. I have a couple of access databases that are 150Mb -175Mb. The maximum is dependent on your available disk space.

HTH
    texasalynn
    the amount of records a 97 database can hold?

Thanks

Provided Answers: 5
    Actually the limitation is One GB for an mdb with a maximum amount of table objects set to 255, so as long as you link to more mdb's you can theoretically break the 1gb barrier

Record count is about one million but degradation in performance (depending on the process and method) will occur at around 400k to 600k records.

Even though Access2000 boasts of a two gb max that is taking into account the unicode compression which means a 1gb mdb in 97 is a 2gb mdb in 2000

Hope this helps

Provided Answers: 5
    One more thing - If the database increases in size but after importing the data into your database or the size drops off after a compaction - you may be suffering from Datbase bloat - usually created by importation of text files and then deleting the data when finished or moved to a different table