Unanswered: backup and logfile conciderations

Hi. I have been playing around with online delta backups, but have some doubts that I'm doing it the correct way. This is probably very elementary stuff, so bear with me. Anyhow, here is a simplified version of my method

Day 1:
    Full offline backup
    Prune logfiles no longer used

Day 2-6
    Online incremental delta backup
    Copy logfiles to archive
    Prune logfiles no longer used

It is the copying of logfiles thats bugging me. I simply do a

cp $DBLOGDIR/* $ARCHIVE

and is wondering if there is any risk doing so? What is the recomended way? I had a quick glance at the sample userexit program, could that be it. What would the benefits be? As mentioned, lots of stupid questions, but I would really apreciate someones opinion on this

Kind regards
    /Lennart

Hi Lennart,

maybe a very late responses to your question. and you might have found a solution allready,

Don't copy the 'active' log files, let the dbms archive them to the archive location, and then simply use AUTO_DEL_REC_OBJ ON

One doesn't have to manually 'prune' old objects, we simply use something like this, taking care of cleaning up all old backup iamges AND also all archived log files. This works fine since DB2 LUW ver 9.7, maybe even since 9.5.x :
    db2 -v update db cfg using NUM_DB_BACKUPS 2
    db2 -v update db cfg using REC_HIS_RETENTN 10
    db2 -v update db cfg using AUTO_DEL_REC_OBJ ON

regards,
    Erwin

Quote Originally Posted by ErwinHaTsoF View Post
    Hi Lennart,

maybe a very late responses to your question. and you might have found a solution allready,

Erwin
    2005 :-) If I remember correctly I was still on 7.2 in the process of moving to 8.1. There where no compress so I backedup throgh a gzip FIFO. Backuphistory where a small textfile in each directory. Also, for logarchiving one had to write ones own userexit. Those where the days ;-)
    --
    Lennart

oh yes, ones own userexit, haaa
    I modified one db2 sample C program, once.... them old days :-)