database design question for college database

Hi all,

I'm fairly green at database design and have come across a situation where I'm not sure of the pros/cons.

I'm designing a database that contains information about a particular college. The entities I've established so far are: department, course, class, student and instructor.

The problem/question I have is in regards to composite keys. For instance my StudentClass table (shows students enrollment in particular classes) has a composite key made up of 5 primary keys: studentid, departmentcode, semestercode, coursenumber and sectionnumber. This seems excessive to me and was wondering what type of performance issues I'll have with that many columns designated as primary keys??

Also, I was wondering if it makes sense to assign an arbitrarily unique number to represent a particular class. For instance, a class with the following values would be assigned a 1 (arbitrary integer):

DepartmentCode: TTT
    SemesterCode: 20028
    CourseNumber: 150
    SectionNumber: 000

If the above makes sense I think I would be much easier when assigning students to classes such that I could have a linking table with the student's unique identification number and the unique arbitrary integer that represents a class. Instead, as of now I'd have to represent a StudentClass with the following values: studentid, departmentcode, semestercode, coursenumber and sectionnumber. It just seems to me that I'm repeating those values un-necessarily throughout the database. Does that make sense??

Thanks a bunch!

Ryan

Hope all this makes sense

Re: database design question for college database

Hi Ryan,

if you think that those 5 columns make up a primary key go ahead and use them.

Of course it is easier to write applications that don't need to update primary key columns if you use a short surrogate key, and many joins will actually benefit from small keys, but I doubt it is worth the trouble to settle for a suboptimal relational model if you don't really need the surrogate key. I would try and keep the model clean in the first place.

Just my 2 cents,

Johann

Originally posted by rdaedlow
    Hi all,

I'm fairly green at database design and have come across a situation where I'm not sure of the pros/cons.

I'm designing a database that contains information about a particular college. The entities I've established so far are: department, course, class, student and instructor.

The problem/question I have is in regards to composite keys. For instance my StudentClass table (shows students enrollment in particular classes) has a composite key made up of 5 primary keys: studentid, departmentcode, semestercode, coursenumber and sectionnumber. This seems excessive to me and was wondering what type of performance issues I'll have with that many columns designated as primary keys??

Also, I was wondering if it makes sense to assign an arbitrarily unique number to represent a particular class. For instance, a class with the following values would be assigned a 1 (arbitrary integer):

DepartmentCode: TTT
    SemesterCode: 20028
    CourseNumber: 150
    SectionNumber: 000

If the above makes sense I think I would be much easier when assigning students to classes such that I could have a linking table with the student's unique identification number and the unique arbitrary integer that represents a class. Instead, as of now I'd have to represent a StudentClass with the following values: studentid, departmentcode, semestercode, coursenumber and sectionnumber. It just seems to me that I'm repeating those values un-necessarily throughout the database. Does that make sense??

Thanks a bunch!

Ryan

Hope all this makes sense

Re: database design question for college database

Thanks Johann! I just wasn't sure how a 5 column primary key would effect query performance on SQL Server 2000 if at all.

Originally posted by jsander
    Hi Ryan,

if you think that those 5 columns make up a primary key go ahead and use them.

Of course it is easier to write applications that don't need to update primary key columns if you use a short surrogate key, and many joins will actually benefit from small keys, but I doubt it is worth the trouble to settle for a suboptimal relational model if you don't really need the surrogate key. I would try and keep the model clean in the first place.

Just my 2 cents,

Johann