Thread: Cannot Backup

Red face Unanswered: Cannot Backup

I use Adaptive Server 11.5.1 EBF 8304 on Sun OS5.6. I have 2.7 Gb of database and have 5 Gb of space. When I use command dump to disk, It work for a while (around1.4 GB of DB) and then I got error as follow:
    Server Message: Number 414502, Severity 2
    Server 'KPN_FINANCE1_back', Procedure 'bs_begin_phase', Line 0:
    Backup Server: 4.145.2.22: [3] Error for device '/backup/data/jepc.dat'. Error writing to archive device /backup/data/jepc.dat. Attempted to write 55296 bytes, 8191 bytes were written.
    Server Message: Number 414102, Severity 2
    Backup Server: 4.141.2.37: [2] The 'write' call failed for device '/backup/data/jepc.dat' with error number 27 (File too large). Refer to your operating system documentation for further details.
    Backup Server: 4.141.2.37: [2] The 'write' call failed for device '/backup/data/jepc.dat' with error number 27 (File too large). Refer to your operating system documentation for further details.
    Server Message: Number 8009, Severity 16
    Server 'KPN_FINANCE1', Line 1:
    Error encountered by Backup Server. Please refer to Backup Server messages for details.

Please advise.

Re: Cannot Backup

It does appear as if the backup file runs out of space. Have you tried seeing where the space is being swallowed up on your mounts when the backup is taking place.

If I were you I would try another backup and keep running 'df -k' from the command line to see if any of your mounts hit 99% before the backup fails.

Hope this helps....

Originally posted by paradigm
    I use Adaptive Server 11.5.1 EBF 8304 on Sun OS5.6. I have 2.7 Gb of database and have 5 Gb of space. When I use command dump to disk, It work for a while (around1.4 GB of DB) and then I got error as follow:
    Server Message: Number 414502, Severity 2
    Backup Server: 4.145.2.22: [3] Error for device '/backup/data/jepc.dat'. Error writing to archive device /backup/data/jepc.dat. Attempted to write 55296 bytes, 8191 bytes were written.
    Server Message: Number 8009, Severity 16
    Server 'KPN_FINANCE1', Line 1:
    Error encountered by Backup Server. Please refer to Backup Server messages for details.

Please advise.

Thumbs down

I try it again which keep running df -k. Anyway, got same errors while space still have3.0Gb. left.

Please advise....

Okay, I think I have it. I remembered that Solrais 5.6 has a maximum fie size limitation of 2gb - and this seems to tally with what your saying

(5 gig of free space when starting and still 3 gig spare when failure occurs = 2 gig threshold..)

To solve your problem you could either dump to a tape drive if you can get your hands on one, or I think you can backup to more than one file using the 'stripe on' command in you dump statement, something like this:

dump database KPN_FINANCE1_back to '/backup/data/jepc.dat'
    stripe on '/backup/data/jepc2.dat' with init

Not sure if the syntax is correct but it will be something similar. Note that the 2 gig filesize limit is not a Sybase issue it is a Solaris 5.6 issue.
    Let me know if this is the solution.

Cheers

Thumbs up

It's work. Thank you very much....