Unanswered: SQL 2000 recover problem

Hi All,

I got a windows 2000 Server, installed with SQL 2000 Server.

And i make the windows 2000 server with 2 different partition, says,
    c: & d:.

I installed windows 2000 server in c:, and SQL 2000 Server in c:,
    with data path stored in the d:.

Today, the windows 2000 Server being crashed.
    And I would like to asked that is there any method get back the data for the SQL Server?

Is that possible to reinstall Windows 2000 Server and SQL 2000 Server
    in c:, and then create or somehow mount up the old data file?

Thanks,
    Xentar

Rebuild another SQL server and restore/ copy the .mdf and .ldf files to the new server. If you use the same directory structure as before you can restore or attach master from the old server. Master will then have the paths to the old .mdf and .ldf's. If they are in the same location they should come right up.

I've moved or recovered several SQL 2000 servers. Just post more specific problems as you go and we'll all try and help you out.

What exactly happened to 'crash' the server (or what is the server doing now)?
    Thanks,
    Jason

Make sure to have backups and so just follow as Barney refers.
    Refer thru Event viewer and SQL error log for previous issues to asses and overcome in future.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

Hi there,

Thanks for your suggestion.
    My situtation is that the windows 2000 is blue screen, and not able
    to boot up.

I did try to recover the windows 2000 Server and get the .mdf and .ldf file. It works fine when it restored the file to the SQL 2000.
    I can able to get back the data in each table and view, etc.

But one problem is that, the application is not able to get the data from it. It will show that the table not exist.

But when i create a new schema, with no data being restored, the application is working fine.

And I would like to ask that, any tools or command for me to export the raw data from each table with "insert" form? such as the data in the format "insert into (xx,xx,xx), etc". Then i can create a new schema and run back the data in scripts form?

Regards,
    Xentar

Originally posted by barneyrubble318
    Rebuild another SQL server and restore/ copy the .mdf and .ldf files to the new server. If you use the same directory structure as before you can restore or attach master from the old server. Master will then have the paths to the old .mdf and .ldf's. If they are in the same location they should come right up.

I've moved or recovered several SQL 2000 servers. Just post more specific problems as you go and we'll all try and help you out.

What exactly happened to 'crash' the server (or what is the server doing now)?

From my understanding, you have recovered your server and your database with all the data in the tables, but your application can not access it now.
    That sounds like it might be a security problem perhaps.. Or maybe an owner problem, in other words the user that owns the objects..

In any case if you want to export your data and import it again into another db (or the same), try bcp. Bcp is detailed in BOL.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by xentar
    Hi there,

Thanks for your suggestion.
    My situtation is that the windows 2000 is blue screen, and not able
    to boot up.

I did try to recover the windows 2000 Server and get the .mdf and .ldf file. It works fine when it restored the file to the SQL 2000.
    I can able to get back the data in each table and view, etc.

But one problem is that, the application is not able to get the data from it. It will show that the table not exist.

But when i create a new schema, with no data being restored, the application is working fine.

And I would like to ask that, any tools or command for me to export the raw data from each table with "insert" form? such as the data in the format "insert into (xx,xx,xx), etc". Then i can create a new schema and run back the data in scripts form?

Regards,
    Xentar

Again check thoroughly for SQL error log and event viewer log for any information to assess. As specified you may try using BCP or DTS for those tables which are causing issues.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]