Question Unanswered: A simple question about SQL Server 2000

What is a COLLATION? What can I use it for in my database? Does it hurts performance?

Provided Answers: 11
    Collations are sort orders. Not all alphabets order their letters in the same way, so depending on where you may live, or who you do business with, you may end up seeing this a lot more.

Collations can give you a small performance boost, so long as you are always conscious of the collation. The fastest collation is binary order. After that is case sensitive, then the default case insensitive. In case sensitive or binary collations, you have to address each object exactly. So two tables TABLE1 and Table1 are two distinct tables in a case sensitive or binary sorted system, whereas these two names could not exist side by side in a case insensitive system.

Is the performance benefit better than the hair pulling you will go through trying to remember table names in a case sensitive system? Up to you.

Thanks for the quick response

Now I think I get it. You are saying that I don't HAVE TO use collations when designing my database?

Make sure to read books online for detailed information on COLLATIONS as there were enhancements from SQL 2K version.

HTH
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

Originally posted by Dynatoz
    Thanks for the quick response

Now I think I get it. You are saying that I don't HAVE TO use collations when designing my database?

If you don't specify, there is a default. There will be a collation sequence. You can specify/change at the database or at the column level.