Unanswered: cannot find image to restore DB2 database help

I cannot find a good image to run a restore from our DB2 database.
    What can I do?

# db2 "restore database mydatabase use tsm taken at 20010208164859"
    SQL2542N No match for a database image file was found based on the source database alias "mydatabase" and timestamp "20010208164859" provided.

# db2adutl query
    Warning: No DB2 backup images found in ADSM for any alias.

I cannot connect to the DB2 database after the server crashed this morning and no good backups were taken recently.

Re: cannot find image to restore DB2 database help

My God!! The worst nightmare for a DBA !!!!!

Well, you can contact IBM Tech Support . They can help you get most(underline the word most) of your data.

mm.. By the way, what are the messages in your db2diag.log file .... Didn't you find any pointers to the problem ....

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by mixxalot
    What can I do?

SQL2542N No match for a database image file was found based on the source database alias "mydatabase" and timestamp "20010208164859" provided.

# db2adutl query

I cannot connect to the DB2 database after the server crashed this morning and no good backups were taken recently.

Re: cannot find image to restore DB2 database help

My suggestion would be to issue the DB2 LIST HISTORY BACKUP ALL command to make sure backups were done.

dollar

What can I do?

# db2adutl query

hi.
    the correct sintax is:
    db2 "restore database mydatabase from /opt/db2/backup taken at 20010208164859"

where "/opt/db2/backup" is yor backup directory

regards
    abel.

recovering bad tablespace

Well folks to update the progress I ran a
    restart database command and was able to re-connect to the database but I had to put the bad state tablespace into drop pending mode since it was causing problems with the database instance. However we still need to recover that particular tablespace. Can I restore just this one tablespace from another system? I was thinking if we can do a restore of just this one bad tablespace from the quality assurance DB2 system that would solve the problem instead of requiring a complete database restore which would take much longer. I found the bad tablespace when I ran the DB2DART tool which is quite useful by the way for resolving DB2 problems. Thanks.

Re: recovering bad tablespace

Hi,

I don't think you can use a tablespace backup from another database and apply it into your production database, unless, of course, that other database was a backup of your production or vice versa. DB2 is quite picky about backup images.

What is so costly about recreating the database from a backup?

The alternative approach would be to reverse engineer the tablespace from the quality assurance database and move the data over to production. This is nothing for the faint hearted of course.

Johann

Well folks to update the progress I ran a
    restart database command and was able to re-connect to the database but I had to put the bad state tablespace into drop pending mode since it was causing problems with the database instance. However we still need to recover that particular tablespace. Can I restore just this one tablespace from another system? I was thinking if we can do a restore of just this one bad tablespace from the quality assurance DB2 system that would solve the problem instead of requiring a complete database restore which would take much longer. I found the bad tablespace when I ran the DB2DART tool which is quite useful by the way for resolving DB2 problems. Thanks.

the plan

we dropped the bad tablespace and recreated it from scratch. no worries since developers simply repopulated the tables on dev. had it been prod or qa I would have been worried. Now I am working on implementing backups on regular basis.