Unanswered: SQL ERRNO : -30081 - [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/SUN] SQL30081N A communication error has

Hi,
    I am getting this error while running a script which has sql statements. The script runs continuously until a stop flag is set. This error occurs every day just after 12 midnight. This is the error I am getting

SQL ERRNO : -30081 - [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/SUN] SQL30081N A communication error has been detected. Communication protocol being used: "TCP/IP". Communication API being used: "SOCKETS". Location where the error was detected: "4.173.229.168". Communication function detecting the error: "recv". Protocol specific error code(s): "*", "*", "0". SQLSTATE=08001

Could anyone please tell me why this is happening and what to do?

The script runs on a win2000 machine.
    The db2 udb database ver 7.2 resides on a sun solaris machine.

TIA

Re: SQL ERRNO : -30081 - [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/SUN] SQL30081N A communication error has

Hi,
    This would definitely be because of the nn-availability of the database/instance (it might be down).

Thanks
    Sateesh
    Originally posted by kmanju
    Hi,
    I am getting this error while running a script which has sql statements. The script runs continuously until a stop flag is set. This error occurs every day just after 12 midnight. This is the error I am getting

SQL ERRNO : -30081 - [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/SUN] SQL30081N A communication error has been detected. Communication protocol being used: "TCP/IP". Communication API being used: "SOCKETS". Location where the error was detected: "4.173.229.168". Communication function detecting the error: "recv". Protocol specific error code(s): "*", "*", "0". SQLSTATE=08001

TIA

Re: SQL ERRNO : -30081 - [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/SUN] SQL30081N A communication error has

slightly more info will help in understanding ur problem..
    1) what is the stop flag??
    2) does the script run just before 12 midnight?
    3) chk the script if u issuing a "force applications all" or "db2stop"

It is definately as msateesh said, ur instance is down.

cheers
    brat.

Originally posted by kmanju
    Hi,

TIA

Sateesh and Brat, Please can you let me know which portion of the SQL message above indicates that the instance is not running ...
    I experience this 30081 quiet often, but it has not been easy for me to identify the error ...

Thansk

Sathyaram

Originally posted by brat4
    slightly more info will help in understanding ur problem..
    1) what is the stop flag??
    2) does the script run just before 12 midnight?
    3) chk the script if u issuing a "force applications all" or "db2stop"

It is definately as msateesh said, ur instance is down.

cheers
    brat.

Regarding -30081, this error will occur in two instances to my knowledge.
    If you are connecting from remote client, if the network has problem then there is a probabilty that this error will happen.
    Next if your database server is down

Hi,
    Besides the instance bieng down or the db server bieng down this error Also crops up in an entirely differnt scenario. As always, db2 fails to display the appropriate errors.
    I just came across this info actually. Sometimes your network card is not properly configured. a communication break down usually occurs when the network caard is unable to accept more than a certain number of connections to the database server over tcp/ip.
    I believe if u ask your network guys and work in tendem , this problem can be fixed.
    Am not much of a networking guy so what setting are to be changed, I have no idea.

p.n kmanju, this might be a solution for you too.

HTH
    brat.

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    Sateesh and Brat, Please can you let me know which portion of the SQL message above indicates that the instance is not running ...
    I experience this 30081 quiet often, but it has not been easy for me to identify the error ...

Thansk

Sathyaram

I agree with Sathyaram_s - this is a generic communiction error which I have also seen occur under the following circumstances :

a] the DB2COMM registry variable is not set
    b] Ports in /etc/services and SVCENAME in dbm cfg do not match
    c] the client is not properly configured (ie db not cataloged to the right node/configured to connect to the wrong port)

I don't think it necessarily indicates that the database is down - just that there seems to be a communication problem. Now if this script can connect and work at other times, is it possible that at the said time that it fails you have restricted connections - or are doing an offline backup or have reached maxagents?