Unanswered: using DB2 as back-end for Access application

I am currently using an access application that stores data internally. I would like to switch the backend to DB2 in order to share the data with other sources on my DB2 server. Does anyone have any experience in doing this?
    ( I currently already use DB2 tables linked in the Access application to do some lookup actions, but would like the other way around, writing data to DB2 instead of fetching it from DB2.........)
    Ties Blom
    Senior Application Developer BI
    Getronics Healthcare
    DB2,ORACLE,Powercenter,BusObj,Access,
    SQL, SQL server

Re: using DB2 as back-end for Access application

Hi,

I can help you, since we are doing this very often. You must lern to use either DAO, ADO or ODBC-programming. This depends upon what else you are doing and what you like most.
    You should think about using MS-VB instead of MS-Access, too, since you are only using panels and macros. MS-Access´ included DB-Server is not of any interest anymore if you switch to a "real" database server...

Bye Ingo

Originally posted by blom0344
    I am currently using an access application that stores data internally. I would like to switch the backend to DB2 in order to share the data with other sources on my DB2 server. Does anyone have any experience in doing this?
    ( I currently already use DB2 tables linked in the Access application to do some lookup actions, but would like the other way around, writing data to DB2 instead of fetching it from DB2.........)

Hello Ingo,

Thanks for your reply. Last year upon returning from Provence we did a brunch-stop in your beautiful city. Fantastic tee-room we had our breakfast in..

As an information analyst I am not much into programming, so building something simple in Access is quite something for me. Using MS-VB is not really an option at the moment, since I use Access for storing additional information as well.

My set-up is extremely simple. I use a parent-child set of two tables to store data om repair-jobs which are returned to our service department.
    Service people enter a repair-number on a form, enter customernumber and all additional customerdata is looked up in DB2 (datawarehouse).
    In subform the individual components are entered with additional information. A repair-number has one customer and n components.
    The tables involved are facttable and factdetails. These I want to migrate to DB2, to combine the information with other customerdata from the datawarehouse I am running.

What should I do to get the facttables into DB2? Can you give some guidelines?
    Ties Blom
    Senior Application Developer BI
    Getronics Healthcare
    DB2,ORACLE,Powercenter,BusObj,Access,
    SQL, SQL server

I had to do this for a few tables ...

I created the tables in db2, exported the data from access and imported into db2 .... Then deleted the tables in access and created links in access to the db2 tables ... Named these links the same as the original access tables ....

It seemed to work ...

Cheers

Sathyaram