I am installing (via vmware) Oracle 9i ( on debian (kernel 2.4.18) the install went fine except for a few hitches which i fixed after a quick google search. However after the install the install window closed during the setup of services.

Here is the last 10 lines of the log file:
Starting to execute optional autolaunch configuration tools
Launched configuration tool Oracle Net Configuration Assistant
Command which is being spawned is
-native -Duser.dir=/u01/app/oracle/product/
-classpath /u
racle/product/ oracle.net.ca.NetCA /orahome
cle/product/ /instype typical /inscomp
client,oraclenet,javavm,server /
insprtcl tcp,tcps /cfg local /authadp NO_VALUE /nodeinfo NO_VALUE

I then tried to restart the configuration process and got a segmentation error:
bash-2.05a$ cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin
bash-2.05a$ ./netca &
[1] 468
bash-2.05a$ SIGSEGV 11* segmentation violation
stackbase=BFFFF35C, stackpointer=BFFFD714

Full thread dump:
"SIGQUIT handler" (TID:0x4059f2a0, sys_thread_t:0x80e3118, state:R,
thread_t: t@2051, sp:0x0 threadID:0x1e2, stack_base:0xbf5ffaa0,
stack_size:0x200000) prio=1075672736
"Finalizer thread" (TID:0x4059f088, sys_thread_t:0x80e2ff0,
state:CW, thread_t: t@1026, sp:0x0 threadID:0x1e1,
stack_base:0xbf7ffaa0, stack_size:0x200000) prio=1075672736
"main" (TID:0x4059f0b0, sys_thread_t:0x80cc050, state:R, thread_t:
t@1024, sp:0x0 threadID:0x1d6, stack_base:0xbffff35c,
stack_size:0x200000) prio=1075672736 *current thread*
java.lang.System.initializeSystemClass(System.java )
Monitor Cache Dump:
Registered Monitor Dump:
Thread queue lock: <unowned>
Name and type hash table lock: <unowned>
String intern lock: <unowned>
JNI pinning lock: <unowned>
JNI global reference lock: <unowned>
BinClass lock: <unowned>
Class loading lock: <unowned>
Java stack lock: <unowned>
Code rewrite lock: <unowned>
Heap lock: <unowned>
Has finalization queue lock: <unowned>
Finalize me queue lock: <unowned>
Waiting to be notified:
"Finalizer thread" (0x80e2ff0)
Monitor registry: owner "main" (0x80cc050, 1 entry)

I have searched the net for the answer to this problem but I can't find an answer that works.

I've tried unsetting the following:

With no luck. I have tried pointing oracle to use my jre instead of theirs by altering the oraparam.ini file, no effect. I have taken my jre in and out of the path, no effect.

The only thing I can think of is that I don't have enough memory available - i only have 384mb available via vmware for this install. I need to figure out if it is this or something else, I can't just blame it on the lack of memory if it is not the case.

I look forward to your comments.