Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Running sum hours returns incorrect sums

I have a table with an hoursworked field in short time format , however when I try to use running some on the hoursworked field I get incorrect sums when the hours exceed 24hrs . Does any body have a workaround for this ?

Provided Answers: 5
    if all you are doing is summng hours such as totalnumber of hours - try using a number format - I would have to see the data to give a better idea but a total number of hours is not time it is a number.

Let me know if this helps or if you want me to look at an example.

time calc

When I swithch the text box ( and the table field ) to a general number it calculates to 0.00 . To explain it better , I have a Clockin field and a Clockout field and an hoursworked field . Clockin and Clockout are populated by "setvalue Now()" via a button . hoursworked is populated by "setvalue Clockout - Clockin " so all fields are populated by date formats and everything is correct except when i try to do a sum in a report

I wrote Project Mgmt app that does exactly that - let me find the code and see how I did it - give me about 15 - 20 minutes - maybe faster

TTime = ETime - STime was my formula

Ttime is a field whose format I set to standard and decimal places 2
    Stime is start time whose format is set to short time
    Etime is end time whose format is set to short time

okay

i'll try that and see what happens

not working

not working , I either get a zero returned or I get 0.30934234222354 when I should be getting 6:34 hrs ? I'm doing this directly in the table and getting these results . When I set all three fields to short date , the hours worked is correct , the problem comes when i go to create a total in a report . I assign the text box to hoursworked and then set it to running sum , I change the format to number and the results are crazy .

send sample data with the result you want and i will provide the solution

here it is

The report in question is lat7days , I know the data is not correct for the hoursworked compared to the clockin / clockout times , this was due to me changing formats and blowing out the old data . it still gives me the same results on the report though .
    Attached Files Attached Files

tried to open with Access 2000 and got unrecognized file format what format is the file in?

unzipped ?

Did you unzip it first ? its a 2000 file , should open fine ? I zipped it using winrar so it was sent as a RAR file .

here is another

this is a zip file

here you go - look at the query
    qryupdatetime

I changed the datatype in the clock table for hourworked to be a number - standard format - 2 deciaml places

Okay

I took a look at it and I see you are multiplying the hoursworked number by 24 after subtracting clockin from clockout but what is Csng ? and when would I run this query ? Should I run it every time someone clocks out ? BTW Thanks a ton ! It does function well now !

Dan

I have to go offline for a couple hours but thank you very much !

Dan