Unanswered: creating new containers for tablespace problems using raw devices need help

Hello gurus,

I had our sysadmin create additional logical volumes for our disk storage needs. Trouble is when I try to create new containers for our DMW tablespaces, I get bad container path errors. The raw disk volumes exist but when I checked their status they are not currently mounted on the unix filesystem. Is that the problem? Do I need to get our unix admin to mount our raw disk volumes for use with db2 before I can create new containers that use raw devices? In the meantime would files work fine as new containers for our tablespaces?

Thanks

Scott

Re: creating new containers for tablespace problems using raw devices need help

I assume you need to mount the raw devices .... Only then, the OS can write in the raw device ...

Personally, I prefer raw devices .... But, many will argue that file containers are as good as raw devices ....... The performance difference between ra devices and containers will be thinned on high performance storage devices (like IBM Shark, EMC etc)

HTH

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by mixxalot
    Hello gurus,

I had our sysadmin create additional logical volumes for our disk storage needs. Trouble is when I try to create new containers for our DMW tablespaces, I get bad container path errors. The raw disk volumes exist but when I checked their status they are not currently mounted on the unix filesystem. Is that the problem? Do I need to get our unix admin to mount our raw disk volumes for use with db2 before I can create new containers that use raw devices? In the meantime would files work fine as new containers for our tablespaces?

Thanks

Scott

filesystems are mounted not raw-devices.
    which unix flavour are you using?
    i think what you (respectivly the instance-owner) needs are write access to the raw devices!

sample from aix (DMS-container 01 for tablespace TSTPV002, of course naming syntax may differ):

ls -l /dev/*lv_1TSTPV002_01

brw-rw---- 1 db2inst1 system 22,111 Apr 02 2002 /dev/lv_1TSTPV002_01
    crw-rw---- 1 db2inst1 system 22,111 Jun 13 07:46 /dev/rlv_1TSTPV002_01

instance-owner "db2inst1" has read/write permissions.

problem solved

I tested the filesystem using DD and it failed. Had our Unix sysadmin fix the problem and was able to create and extend the DMS containers for our tablespaces. SMS containers were a separate and more challenging situation that required redirected restore to redefine and fix the space issues.

Scott

Scott,

Don't quite understand what fixed the problem. Can you please share your experience with us?

Thanks