Question Unanswered: Database splitting

Dear All

There are 4 users of my database and now I am thinking of splitting it in front end and back end.

I am still not 100% sure how would it be beneficial? Can somebody answer my following questions please?

1. In split database, if I want to make any design changes in a form or report while other users are using same form or report on their machines, would it affect them or not?

2. We have got user level security already in place on our databse. Every user uses his/her password. What would happen when the same databse splitts?

3. Would both FE and BE reside on network and users would only be provided with the shortcut to FE?

Thanks

1. no - they will not be affected until you distribute your new rev of the front end to them. you can have multiple different font-ends (e.g. different releases of your front-end) looking at the same back-end data at the same time.

2. pass - depends on your security setup. almost certainly you will have some permissions juggling to do.

3. no - best to keep the front-end on the client and the back-end on the server. (reasons: performance, net-traffic, and what else are you going to do with the client disk space anyway?).

izy

Talking Thanks...

Thank you very much for your reply. Very useful information.

A little stupid question, just to make myself clear:

Client is a user and server is our network, am I right?

Thaks again

yes:
    all your font-end code on each users machine.
    all your back-end data on a machine somewhere on the network visible to all the users.

izy