Thread: db2 clients

Unanswered: db2 clients

I have Installed the DB2 client on AIX 5.1, however I just want to know what processes get spawned on the box the client is running on? And how do you start the client up?

I tried doing db2start but that does not seem to work?

thanks in advance for any help

Mark

The DB2 Control Center is db2cc. But you might want to catalog remote databases first with the Client Configuration Assistance, which I believe is db2cca.

You can also catalog remote databases, or issue other DB2 commands from a command prompt using CLP commands. Check out the DB2 Command Reference manual.

Thanks

I catalogued a remote node and a remote database successfully but only after adding the port number and the DB2 SVCENAME entry from the server machine's /etc/services file into the client machine's /etc/services file.

Mark

(this step I could not find in any IBM supplied documentation but figured this one out because on AIX an entry gets added to the machine on the server side but the client side would not know about this entry unless you added it yourself)

The Client Configuration Assistant helps you catalog a remote node and a remote database. In many cases it can browse the network and find these (including the required port number and DB2 SVCENAME entry).

I guess it's because I am a command line type of person. I just find it easier to do it that way over the gui way.

Re: db2 clients

in the catalog database node, the parameter for the server option need not necessarily be a service name .... it can be a port ..... I have always used the port number (not a good habit, I know) ....

What processes ? None, except your application .... Connections from msaccess are called msaccess.exe ..... Connections from Websphere appserver are called java , etc....

db2start is only for the server .... On the client, you do not need to start any services/processes to access the remote database ..... The required libraries get loaded when you request the connections ....

HTH

Sathyaram